Why study Food Security?
Develop employable skills which will help to tackle world hunger.
- It’s relevant now
- The answers to global hunger, obesity, scarcity and many others are highly topical. Students of this MSc will be well-placed to answer real-world problems. Graduates of this programme will be in high demand as society seeks solutions to these and similar global issues.
- Scotland’s first MSc in Food Security
- This is Scotland’s first MSc in the area and is a unique partnership between The School of GeoSciences and Scotland’s Rural College – offering students a wide range of expertise and an interdisciplinary approach to the topic.
- Research reputation
- Both the School of GeoSciences and SRUC place a strong emphasis on research. Our students learn alongside our researchers providing a rich educational experience.
- Network of businesses
- Edinburgh and its environs are home to many businesses and organisations working in the area of Food Security. We draw upon this network, inviting external guest lecturers and organising regular student-employer events.
- ‘Most Powerful’ in UK Agricultural and Veterinary Research
- Agricultural and veterinary research at SRUC and the University of Edinburgh has been ranked as most powerful in the UK in the Research Excellence Framework (REF).
On completion of the programme, students will:
- Have an understanding of the global context of food security including its political, economic, social and environmental components
- Be able to identify the main trade-offs that might exist between food security and other desirable goals
- Be able to carry out independent research (either practical or desk-based) and produce reports of the research in a number of different formats (both written and verbal)
- Be competent in constructing logically sound arguments and analysing scientific theories and data-generating methodologies (experiments, surveys and so on)
- Have expertise in at least one specialist area (such as modelling or food supply chain analysis)
Please note, MSc Food Security is not a suitable qualification for those interested in Food Hygiene, Food Safety or related areas.
Please note that field trip locations may change based on availability or for reasons outwith our control including those of a political nature.