About the programme
Your chance to play a vital role to protect and conserve the environment starts here.
Our actions have had and continue to have a significant impact on the planet, including many pressures that have potentially serious consequences for humanity and other life on Earth.
These actions include:
- Soil erosion
- Pollution of surface and ground waters
- Pathogen contamination of potable waters
- Increasing greenhouse gases in the atmosphere
The Environmental Protection and Management programme aims to provide you with the skills to devise and enact strategies to protect and conserve various environments.
What will I learn?
Through this MSc, you will gain an in-depth understanding of natural resource management based on a scientific understanding of the issues, but also linked across disciplines. It will equip you with advanced skills and knowledge about the processes that give rise to environmental degradation and pollution problems, and the strategies to affect sustainable change.
The programme aims to:
- Develop a scientific understanding of some of the major processes which influence the quality of land, air and water resources
- Improve knowledge of the most effective methods of environmental protection
- Develop expertise in the design and implementation of programmes of environmental protection
- Provide the opportunity to study the integrated protection and management of particular ecosystems or resources
An excellent heritage
The programme has been successfully delivered for over 20 years, and continues to grow from strength to strength. You will be taught by world-leading experts in key fields, as well as benefitting from our excellent relationships with industry and relevant employers. The programme attracts students from a variety of backgrounds which gives you exceptional opportunities to learn from one another, and become part of a strong alumni network around the globe.
Scotland’s Rural College (SRUC)
This programme is delivered in collaboration with Scotland’s Rural College (SRUC). You will not only benefit from being a fully matriculated student at The University of Edinburgh, but also access to all of complementary staff, expertise, and resources at SRUC. Upon successful completion of the programme, you will be awarded your degree by The University of Edinburgh.
Network of businesses
Edinburgh and its environs are home to many businesses and organisations working in the area of Environmental Protection and Management. We draw upon this network, inviting external guest lecturers and organising regular student-employer events.
This programme is affiliated with the University's Global Environment and Society Academy.