About the programme
Find out more about Climate Change Management and this unique online distance learning opportunity.
For those with a passion for tackling climate change and who require the flexibility of online learning.
What is Climate Change Management?
The online PG Certificate in Climate Change Management is a ground-breaking development of the award-winning MSc in Carbon Management programme at the University of Edinburgh. Building on the proven success and expert content of the established residential programme, this new online programme provides high-level knowledge and skills in the science, business and policy of climate change management.
The programme is affiliated with the University's Global Environment & Society Academy (GESA).
Who is the programme aimed at?
The programme is designed for graduates who want an advanced academic qualification in tackling climate change in business, industry, NGOs and government.
How long does it take?
The PG Certificate is completed over a 10-month period starting in September each year and comprises 3 core courses addressing ‘climate chnage impacts & adaptation’, ‘climate change mitigation’, and ‘climate change and corporate responsibility’.
What knowledge and skills will I gain?
The interdisciplinary nature of the programme provides a detailed understanding of the economics of climate change and a broad and integrated understanding of carbon footprinting, ecosystem valuation, energy systems and energy policy. The main programme aims are:
- Integration of innovations in economics and engineering with the science of climate change impacts, adaptation and mitigation, to provide graduates with a holistic understanding of climate change management.
- Development of conceptual and analytical skills, to enable critical evaluation of the projected impact of climate change on the economy and society.
- Assessment of the solutions - at international, national and local level - that have been devised to address the impacts of climate change, either through technological change, policy, market mechanisms or regulation.
- Provision of high-level study and expertise in carbon innovation to graduates anywhere in the world.
Why study Climate Change Management?
Flexible further study options
After completing your PgCert you have the option of continuing your studies with us. Complete our other PgCert Carbon Innovation programme and you'll have enough credits to graduate with a PgDip Carbon Management. You can even choose if you want to study one per year, or join our accelerated programme and complete them both in 12 months. Finally if you stay on a further extra year with us and take our Applied Carbon Methods and dissertation courses, you can graduate with our award-winning MSc Carbon Management. Of course you are very welcome to stay just for the year and complete your Postgraduate Certificate. Details on our additional programmes can be found in the related links below.
A strong reputation
This Programme builds on the reputation of our Carbon Management MSc which attracts around 50 students each year, drawn from over 25 nations and with a wide range of backgrounds. What they share is a passion for using their expertise to tackle the challenges of global climate change.
It’s relevant now
Climate Change is firmly on the global agenda. Students with an understanding of the business, environmental and economic considerations of Climate Change are therefore in high demand by employers across and wide variety of sectors and industries.
It’s employable with graduates in demand
The Carbon Management MSc has won the PricewaterhouseCoopers award for ‘Teaching Employable Skills’ and is ranked among the “Top 5 UK Sustainable Development and Environmental Management Masters” (Eduniversal).
Benefits of learning online
As a student of one of our online learning programmes, you will:
- Have the flexibility to study when most convenient for you
- Be able to study from anywhere with an internet connection
- Have access to all University services and relevant academics
- Become part of a rich and varied online community of people in your field
- Learn the latest developments from people working at the leading edge in your field
- Study for an internationally-recognised PgCert
Institute for Academic Development
The Institute for Academic Development offers a wide range of courses, workshops and learning resources to help students develop their skills. Examples of workshops include:
- essay writing
- preparing for exams
- research skills
Careers service and opportunities
The Careers Service offers guidance and information to students and recent graduates of the University on a range of career development learning opportunities and builds relationships with employers and training organisations in order to market students and graduates.