Visiting research students
The School of GeoSciences welcomes applications to our Visitors Programme from research students who are registered at another university.
As a Registered Visiting Student coming to the University of Edinburgh, you can gain research experience and/or study which will directly contribute to your degree. There are two categories of visiting research students:
1) Visiting Research (VRes) Student for less than or up to twelve weeks, you will not be charged a fee and are not subject to the university’s English language entry requirements;
2) Visiting Research (VRes) Student for more than twelve weeks and up to and including twelve months, you will be charged a flat rate which will be £650 in session 2017/18 (£690 in 2018/19). You will be subject to the university’s English language entry requirements. Further information regarding this is noted below.
All visiting students who attend the University for more than two weeks must be recorded on the University’s student record system, EUCLID.
Once registered, you will have access to courses, supervision, and full library and IT facilities. You will also receive an official record of the time you spend at the University of Edinburgh.
A bench fee of £100 per month to cover associated research costs may be applicable.
The school is not able to accommodate visiting research students in the school's PGR desk space.
How to Apply
In order to be considered for a place as a Visiting Research (VRes) Student, please complete and return the Visitor Request form and Equal Opportunities Form.
You must include:
- a supporting letter from your supervisor at your home institution;
- a supporting letter from your potential supervisor in the School of Geosciences;
- a letter from your home institution confirming registration.
English language requirements
Any Visiting Research Student applicant in attendance for longer than twelve weeks, will be expected to provide evidence that they meet the minimum English language entry requirements. For PhD programmes within the school these are-
- an undergraduate or masters degree, that was taught and assessed in English in a majority English speaking country as defined by UK Visas and Immigration
- UKVI list of majority English speaking countries
- IELTS Academic: total 6.5 (at least 6.0 in each module)
- TOEFL-iBT: total 92 (at least 20 in each module)
- PTE(A): total 61 (at least 56 in each of the "Communicative Skills" sections)
- CAE and CPE: total 176 (at least 169 in each module)
- Trinity ISE: ISE II with distinctions in all four components
Degrees taught and assessed in English must be no more than three years old at the beginning of your degree programme. Language tests must be no more than two years old at the beginning of your degree programme.
If you cannot provide evidence of your competency in English, your application will not be considered by the school.
International students must apply for a Tier 4 Visa for visits of more than 6 months. All students holding a Tier 4 visa must study full-time and meet English Language requirements as set out by UKVI.
For visits under 6 months, international students can apply for a Short term student Visa. This Visa is only valid for a maximum of 6 months, with no extensions permitted. For more information on visas and immigration, please visit the Edinburgh Global Immigration webpage.