School of GeoSciences

Visiting research students

The School of GeoSciences welcomes applications to our Visitors Programme from research students who are registered at another university.

As a Registered Visiting Research Student coming to the University of Edinburgh, you can gain research experience and/or study which will directly contribute to your degree. There are two categories of visiting research students:

1) Visiting Research (VRes) Student for less than or up to twelve weeks, you will not be charged a fee and are not subject to the university’s English language entry requirements;

2) Visiting Research (VRes) Student for more than twelve weeks and up to and including twelve months, you will be charged a flat rate which will be £730 in academic year 2019/20 (£770 in 2020/21). You will be subject to the university’s English language entry requirements. Further information regarding this is noted below.

All visiting students who attend the University for more than two weeks must be recorded on the University’s student record system, EUCLID.

Once registered, you will have access to courses, supervision, and full library and IT facilities. You will also receive an official record of the time you spend at the University of Edinburgh.

A bench fee of £100 per month to cover associated research costs may be applicable.

Please discuss study space and equipment requirements with your supervisor, who will liaise with the PGR Office if necessary. 

The university's visiting and non-graduating student policy is available here-

How to Apply

In order to be considered for a place as a Visiting Research (VRes) Student, please complete the Visiting Postgraduate Research Student application form and send it to copying in your supervisor.

You must include:

  • a supporting letter from your supervisor at your home institution;
  • a supporting letter from your potential supervisor in the School of Geosciences;
  • a letter from your home institution confirming registration.

English language requirements

Any Visiting Research Student applicant in attendance for longer than twelve weeks, will be expected to provide evidence that they meet the minimum English language entry requirements. For PhD programmes within the school these are-

  • IELTS Academic: total 6.5 (at least 6.0 in each module)
  • TOEFL-iBT: total 92 (at least 20 in each module)
  • PTE(A): total 61 (at least 56 in each of the "Communicative Skills" sections)
  • CAE and CPE: total 176 (at least 169 in each module)
  • Trinity ISE: ISE II with distinctions in all four components

Language tests must be no more than two years old at the beginning of your visit.


A degree taught and assessed in English in a Majority English-Speaking Country as defined by UKVI (these must be no more than three and a half years old at the beginning of your visit).

If you cannot provide evidence of your competency in English, your application will not be considered by the school.

International students

International students must apply for a Tier 4 Visa for visits of more than 6 months. All students holding a Tier 4 visa must study full-time and meet English Language requirements as set out by UKVI.

For visits under 6 months, international students can apply for a Short term student Visa. This Visa is only valid for a maximum of 6 months, with no extensions permitted. For more information on visas and immigration, please visit the Edinburgh Global Immigration webpage.

Related Links