NERC NPIF PhD Studentships
NERC has allocated 2 NPIF PhD studentships through the E3 DTP. Those fully-funded studentships include stipend for 4 years (based on RCUK minima), fees and research costs.
These studentships have been awarded as part of the National Productivity Investment Fund (NPIF) and, as such, proposed projects show evidence of alignment with the Industrial Strategy and the requirement to underpin growth, productivity and rebalancing of the national economy, within the context of excellence in the environmental sciences. All studentships supported through this opportunity must clearly demonstrate these links throughout the lifetime of the award. In addition this year, NERC has a requirement to ensure that a number of these studentships are directly aligned to the Industrial Strategy Grand Challenge of Artificial Intelligence & Data-Driven Economy.
Each project has an industrial partner (CASE) which will be involved in the supervision and training of the successful student throughout the PhD. They will also contribute to the research costs . There will also be a requirement for the industrial partner to host the student from 3 months and up to 18 months during the studentship.
Successful students will be required to do the equivalent of a 6-month internship over the duration of their PhD (at CASE partner or elsewhere). They will also be associated with the E3 DTP cohort and expected to attend the specific DTP training courses and cohort building events.
We would normally require you to have a minimum of 2.1 undergraduate degree or equivalent. However, we may take relevant work experience and/or a Masters degree into account.
To be eligible for a full award from NERC, you must be a UK/EU citizen or a non-EU citizen with settled status in UK AND have been ordinarily resident in the UK for at least 3 years prior to the start of the studentship.
Please refer to the RCUK Training Grants Funding Terms and Conditions to check your eligibility and email us if you are still in doubt.
How to apply
Deadline for applications is Monday 18 June 2018, 12pm.
We anticipate that the interviews will be held in Edinburgh on Tuesday 10 July 2018. Shortlisted candidates who cannot attend on that day will be invited for a Skype interview.
Please read carefully the information below before you apply. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have further queries.
(1) Check the available projects (marked "NERC NPIF Studentship (CASE)") and contact potential supervisors (please note that the first name mentioned in the project is the lead supervisor).
(3) References - please ask two referees to send reference letters to email@example.com by the application deadline. It is your responsibility to ensure that both references are submitted on time.
(4) Fill the Application form below and gather the required documents listed on the form: an updated CV and all transcripts and certificates of your degrees to-date (including interim transcripts if available).
(5) Submit your complete application by sending the Application form, your CV, your transcripts and certificates via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline.
(6) We will acknowledge receipt of your application and be back in touch on 21 June at the earliest with the outcome.