School of GeoSciences

Information for international students

If you are not from the UK, you are likely to need permission to study here, as well as evidence of English language proficiency.

English language requirements

If English is not your first language, we will need to see evidence of your proficiency.

English language requirements


If your home country is outside of the EU, you will need permission to study in the UK. Up-to-date advice on the type of visa you will need is available from Edinburgh Global.

Visa requirements for new international students

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

If you are planning to study for a research degree and you are not a UK, or EEA or Swiss national, you may need a certificate of approval under the Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) before applying for a visa, Entry Clearance (EC) or Extension of Stay (EoS).

An ATAS certificate does not guarantee you a visa/EC/EoS, but applications without one will automatically be refused.

ATAS guidance for PhD students -Foreign and Commonwealth Office