Absence and Leave
In accordance with University policy, staff are required to record all planned absences of half a day or more via an online form (unless, in the case of support staff only, other arrangements have been made with their line manager).
'Absence' is not merely annual leave, it is just as important to record absences from University premises due to fieldwork, conferences, training, working at home etc.
If absent but not on annual leave it will be assumed that employees can be contacted (by email or telephone) unless indicated otherwise on the online form. It is extremely helpful if staff set up an 'out of office' message on their email account if on annual leave or otherwise unable to answer email.
In the case of academic staff voluntary absences of 5 days or more during Semester, for any reason, must be cleared with the Head of School. The University's Semester Calendar is available. Note that Welcome week is within Semester.
Research and support staff should also get permission for annual leave from their line managers. Katie Jeffrey (Administrative Services Manager) can provide advice on the different forms and systems available to record approval of absence.
The online system should be used to record planned absence. It should not be used for sick leave which requires different actions:
- Research and support staff should telephone their manager (or PI) before 9.30 on the first day of sickness who should report the absence to the Administrative Services Manager (Katie Jeffrey, 0131 650 7737) in the School Office, or if unavailable, Tracey Dart. Academic staff should contact the Administrative Services Manager directly.
- Staff should self-certificate for sickness resulting in between 4 and 7 days of absence (weekends included), a doctor's certificate being required for longer periods of illness.
- Don't forget to inform the Administrative Services Manager when you return from sick leave.
- Entitlement to sick leave is governed by your Conditions of Service
Related Policies and Procedures
- The Univeristy's policy on recording whereabouts (as of April 2016)
- The University's policies on Leave, abscence and parental leave can be found via the link below:
- Family leave (e.g. maternity, paternity or adoption leave). Contact the Administrative Services Manager for guidance. The link above takes you to University policy. Adoption Policy is provided by the link below
- Study leave. Please see the School guidelines below. Note that they are subject to revision on a regular basis.