Permit-to-Work for Contractors and Maintenance Staff
A permit to work system is a documented safe system of work that is used to control high risk activities and help prevent accidental damage to personnel, plant, premises and product.
General principles of a Permit to Work System;
The permit is a check prior to any work commencing to ensure that all precautions are taken and are securely in place.
A permit to work should be used in the following circumstances;
- hot work e.g. welding
- work undertaken at height
- maintenance work undertaken in a laboratory
- work undertaken in a confined space
- maintenance/repair work on electrical equipment
- maintenance/repair work on machinery/plant
A 'Permit to Work' Form must be completed before any Estates & Buildings maintenance staff or Contractors start work on any of the activities listed above.