Personal Web Space
Web pages are a vital tool to allow the world to see who we are and what we are doing.
- Members of the School have an "official" web page in the People directory
- Members of the School may also create and maintain personal web pages.
- The "official" school page has a link to your personal page. If this is wrong or unset, please ask the Administrative Services Team to change this for you.
Much of the School's web presence is handled by EdWeb, the University's content management platform. For most uses within the School this is the preferred way to maintain a web presence. We are also still using Zope, an older content management system. For most people in the School, this is the simplest way of managing a personal web page. We hope a replacement service for Zope will be introduced.
To create and access a personal web page for yourself within Zope :
- Request or find your page at: https://www.geos.ed.ac.uk/homes/
- See the guidance on editing School Zope webpages .
Special Requirements - File Based
For most people a content management system is the best way to manage your web presence.
We also run a file-based web service. This can be used to deliver HTML and PHP based content, large files such as PDFs, and can also run custom scripts. If you think you have a requirement to use this service, please email email@example.com. If possible give a short description of what you intend to do, and if appropriate, how much disk space you expect to need.
Technical details on the file based web service are available in other documents in this section.