School of GeoSciences


Finance Guidance

1. Placing External Orders (Purchase Order Requisition Forms)


Applicants should be familiar with the University “procurement regulations” and the “School of Geoscience Guidance on authorisation of expenditure within the School”:-     

Process for requesting an external purchase order

You must obtain authorisation to incur expenditure from your supervisor, grant holder, HOS (Proxy) (can be verbal) prior to any expenditure being incurred.

You must:

  1. Understand what you would like to purchase.
  2. Research suppliers and prices to ensure you obtain value for money.
  3. Obtain permission from your supervisor or grant holder to incur expenditure. This can be verbal.
  4. To place an order you need to complete the School of Geosciences Requisition Form (You can find this in the Geosciences Finance form repository, or follow the link (Put in link)
  5. Complete the form with the following:-
    1. Supplier name, address and postcode
    2. Description of the goods required, price and quantity
    3. The correct delivery box should ticked
    4. The correct Cost Centre, Account Code and Job Code must be entered
    5. Please take note of the value of the goods and follow the guidanc

(Failure to complete any of the above boxes will result in the requisition form being rejected and returned)

  1. Value of goods below £1000 – Ensure value for money is obtained
  2. Value of goods between £1000 and £5000 – Three written or verbal quotes need to be obtained and attached to the requisition form (If the quote is verbal please write on the form)
  3. Value of goods between £5000 and £50,000 – Three formal quotes need to be obtained. Please contact the Finance Manager for advice if the goods are valued over £5000.
  4. Value of goods over £50,000 – Full University tender.

All information needs to be attached to the purchasing requisition along with obtaining appropriate authorisations.

The purchase requisition will then be processed by the finance office to create a purchase order. This will be sent to the supplier.

Once the goods have been delivered, they need to be checked to ensure they match the order, undamaged and expected.

The goods delivery note needs to be checked, signed and dated and sent to the Finance Office.

Invoices, when they arrive, will be checked against the order and delivery note and if appropriate authorised for payment.

Back to top..

2. Placing Internal Orders (EIT)

If you wish to purchase goods/services from another Department within the University, you should still complete a Purchase Order Requisition Form and send it to the Accounts Office. The University has an Electronic Internal Transfer system that we use to purchase internally.

Back to top..

3. Expense Claims


Applicants should be familiar with the University's expenses policy :-     

 This will tell you what you are allowed to claim

Process for reimbursement of Expenses on the New E Expenses System
  1. You must obtain authorisation to incur expenditure from your supervisor, grant holder, HOS (Proxy) (can be verbal) prior to any expenditure being incurred.
  1. Expenditure incurred on trip or purchase, (Obtain receipts)
  1. Complete the claim in the new E Expenses System and scan the receipts. Training can be given if required.
  • Print claim
  • Post electronic claim with attached scanned receipts. This will go to the Finance Office.
  • The claimant will retain the original receipts for the current financial year and to the end of the next financial year
  1. The printed claim should be authorised by your supervisor, PI and sent to the School Finance Office in the Grant Institute. If you are a senior member of the School and your responsibility is to the Head of School then send the printed copy to the Finance Manager for Proxy authorisation (Research Finance Manager for research claims)
  1. The Finance Office will check the claim is in accordance with financial regulations, approve and then post for payment.

Please see School of Geoscience  Expenses policy below:- 

Back to top..

3a. Mileage Rates

The current rates applicable for 2012/2013 are:


  • 45p per mile for the first 10,000 Business miles
  • 25p per mile thereafter


  • 24p per mile


  • 20p per mile

Back to top..

3b. Meals Allowances

Staff may claim the costs of meals eaten while on University business away from their normal place of work or if they are required to work away from home outside their normal hours

  • Breakfast £6.50 Breakfast may be claimed only where not included in the overnight accommodation charge
  • Lunch £9.00
  • Dinner £14.00

All meal claims in excess of £5.00 must be supported by an appropriate receipt or voucher

Back to top..

3c. Overnight Accommodation Rates

Where overnight accommodation charges are incurred directly by the employee, they will be reimbursed. Employees are expected to book hotels with a maximum price as follows:

  • London - £100 per night including breakfast and VAT
  • Other locations - £60 per night including breakfast and VAT

If a member of staff arranges private accommodation with friends or relatives while away on business then a standard overnight bed & breakfast rate of £14 will be payable to allow the member of staff to contribute to the costs incurred by the hosts.

Back to top..

3d. Claims for Entertaining

The University will only reimburse the costs of necessary business entertainment on vouched expenditure. Where members of staff incur entertaining costs, they must record the following on the expense claim:

1. The names of all the attendees 2. Their status i.e. University Employees or third parties. 3. The reason for providing the entertainment

Reimbursement for purchase of alcoholic refreshment will not normally be made. However, if a member of staff is entertaining a visitor to the University then a moderate amount of alcohol may be included with any meal which may be claimed

Back to top..

4. Advances

If a member of staff has to incur significant expenditure that it is not possible for the University to pay direct, then the University may give a cash advance.  It is essential that the correct form is used when applying for an advance.

For an ordinary advance relating to University funded expenditure, the 'General Advance' form should be completed, authorised and sent to the Accounts Office.

If the advance relates to Research Grant expenditure, then the grey 'Research Advance' form must be used, and also sent to the Accounts Office.

Advances must reach the Accounts Office for processing not more that four weeks and not less than two weeks before the date of travel. You should make sure the date of travel is clearly marked on the form.

Advances must be accounted for within one month of the date of returning to the University. Finance Office in Chambers Street, will issue a reminder after that date.  The advance is accounted for using the standard University expense claim form.

Back to top..

5. Petty Cash

The Grant Institute and the Institute of Geography each hold a Petty Cash float.


Petty Cash should be used for small payments for goods or services.


Typical payments made through petty cash include bus fares, stamps, stationery and hospitality expenses.


Petty cash should not be used to fund private parties, to pay regular suppliers or for casual wages.


Payments from Petty Cash should be supported by a receipt or voucher and should be recorded and signed for by the claimant in the record book.

Back to top..