Power Shutdowns at KB
Power shutdowns in the Grant Institute, John Murray Labs, JCMB and Structures Lab
Summary of Power shutdowns in April, July and August 2019
- April 15-23rd - Engineering Structures Lab (2 days within this time period)
- June 10th & 20th – JCMB (15 mins max each)
- June 22nd - John Murray Laboratories (2 hours)
- July 5-8th - Grant Institute – extension - on off power cut @ 1pm on 5th July & main building (2.5 days from 1pm)
- July 13th - Grant Institute extension (including microCT, Workshop, SEM, Ion Probes and Electron Probe) – 2 hours
- August 5th & 15th – Grant institute, JML and Structures Lab (15 mins max each)
See below for more detail:
As part of the Infrastructure Project currently being undertaken across the KB campus, several of the sub-stations supplying power to KB are to be upgraded. This requires the sub-stations to be taken “off-line” for 10 days each. Therefore, a series of events need to take place to ensure power is supplied to the Schools and other KB buildings during the sub-station shutdowns. These events will result in up to 4 power shutdowns (depending on buildings) of varying lengths. The main events are:
1 – Shutdown to install generator switches. These allow the buildings to be switched on to generator power. The shutdowns will last between 2 hours and 2.5 days depending on work being undertaken)
2 – Shutdown to switch onto generator power (2-15 mins)
Sub-station work undertaken – 10 days – during this period power will be provided by generators.
3 - Shutdown to switch back onto mains power (2-15 mins)
The series of events affecting the Grant Institute, John Murray Labs, JCMB and the Structures Lab are:
Main Shutdown for generator switches
Structures Lab - Engineering
- 15-23rd April – Power shutdown
- Switch gear already installed
- 22nd June (2 hours) – Power shutdown
The Grant Institute power is supplied from 2 different locations. One for the main building and one for the single storey extension on the Eastern side.
5th July - 1pm - On/Off shutdown (all of the Grant Institute going off line but the extension coming back on line) ~ 1 minute. This is to remove fuses to allow the provision of a temporary power feed into some labs in the main building. Freezers/fridges can be relocated to, and powered from these labs. Power returning to these labs after ~30mins-1 hour.
5th July – Power shutdown to the main building – 2.5 days (Friday mid-day to Sunday evening) Grant (main building at least) to be closed from 1pm on Friday 5th July.
13th July - Power shutdown to the Grant Extension - ~ 2 hours.
Shutdowns to switch to and off generator power
Grant, JML, Structures
- 5th August – Power shutdown to transfer to Generator power (2-15 mins between 7:30 and 8:30 am)
- 15th August – Power shutdown to transfer back to mains power (2-15 mins between 7:30 and 8:30 am)
- 10th June – Power shutdown to transfer to Generator power (2-15 mins between 7:30 and 8:30 am)
- 20th June – Power shutdown to transfer back to mains power (2-15 mins between 7:30 and 8:30 am)
Please ensure that all equipment is shutdown (computers, experimental equipment, lab equipment etc) prior to these times unless you have back-up power capabilities (e.g., a UPS).
Please contact me a.s.a.p if you have any concerns regarding these power shutdowns and how they may affect areas you work in.