An Organic Geochemistry laboratory housing wide-ranging analytical capabilities for extraction, separation, identification and quantification of a wide range of natural and contaminant chemicals, in addition to C and N elemental and stable isotopic analyses.
The Lab is located in the Sir John Murray Laboratories annex to the Grant Institute of Earth Sciences on the Kings Buildings Campus. The analytic facilities and techniques can be applied to diverse sample types, including waters, soils and sediments.
- DOC/TDN Trace-level Dissolved Organic carbon and Nitrogen with Shimadzu TOC-V Analyser
- Contaminant hydrocarbons, including TPH, PAH and DRO (GC, GC-MS)
- Lipid biomarkers (GC, GC-MS)
- Amino acids (HPLC or GC-MS)
- D/L amino acid ratios (HPLC)
- Total carbohydrates (colourimetric)
- Carbohydrate monomers (GC, GC-MS)
- Lignin phenols (GC, GC-MS)
- Dissolved gases (GC-TCD)