International students

Specific advice and guidance for international students is provided by the Finance Department and Edinburgh Global.

Fee rates

Like other universities in the United Kingdom, different tuition fee rates are set for students whose status is “home” (residents of Scotland, rest of the UK or European Union) and those whose status is “overseas/international”. Your fee status, for fee paying purposes, will have been notified to you when your application was received by the University and your fee status and the fee amount for your programme of study will have been included in your offer of admission.

The complete table of fees is provided by Student Administration:

Paying tuition fees

Payment of fees can be made by any of the methods.

Payment Methods

All students can pay tuition fees before or at matriculation. Advance payment may help international students in particular when exchange rates are being considered, or if you have yet to open a UK bank account and can’t pay by other methods when matriculating.

For each payment method offered guidelines are provided for information about the speed of the payment notification to the University. These timescales are not guaranteed.

Two of the payment methods allow payment in local currency for onward transmission to the University in sterling.

Bank-to-bank Transfer

Debit or Credit Card Payment

Paying by instalment

If you would like to pay by instalment then in addition to the other requirements for paying by this method international students (requiring a visa to study in the UK) must also send or bring to registration a copy of the same documentation used for your visa application demonstrating that you have adequate means of financial support in place.

Paying by Direct Debit Instalments

Keep check on your student fees account details in My finance, MyEd.


Information about possible funding for international students is given by Scholarships and Student Funding Services, Student Administration.

Immigration and visas

International students, requiring a visa to study in the UK, should ensure funds are available both to pay fees and to cover living expenses while getting settled in Edinburgh as this is a requirement of current UK immigration rules.

Please be aware the University is obliged to inform the United Kingdom Visas and Immigration (UKVI) about any student covered by the immigration rule who is withdrawn from their programme of study due to non-payment of fees.

Further advice and guidance, including immigration advice, is given by Edinburgh Global.