External Funded

You may be entitled to financial support from your government, be funded by a sponsor or have arranged some other form of student loan. Normally you will have to apply for this type of financial help as early as possible and for each year of study - your financial support or sponsor funding provider will provide advice.

The University is able to accept direct payment from sponsors or from an educational loan provider (see definitions). Students receiving funds from Educational loan providers (as detailed in the Education loans section below) for onward remittance to the University are still considered as external funded. All other students receiving funds direct from their sponsor are considered to be self funded.


Where external funding has been applied for but not yet confirmed when starting the programme of study alternative arrangements to pay the student fees are required - the same as if a self funded student. Ultimately the payment of all fees and charges is your responsibility and if your sponsor does not pay the fees invoice within 30 days of the invoice date then you will be liable for payment in full. You can keep check on your full account details through the Finance Channel in MyEd.

Sponsors, loan providers and students must not intentionally overpay any fees, charges and costs due or send funds to the University in order to obtain student living costs or circumvent any government regulation or restriction. The University must abide by UK money laundering laws and is not able to act as a clearance account facilitating the disbursement of maintenance funds from an award or loan except where there is an existing agreement such as disbursements through the US Federal Student Aid program.

Credit Balance Refunds

Evidence of external funding may be required by the University depending on the type of funding and who provides this. The formal funding offer should indicate whether tuition fees, individual course fees and additional programme costs are included, at what level and for what period of time.

More information about financial support (including part-time study) and sponsor funding is provided by Scholarships and Student Funding Services, Student Administration.

UK Government Funded

Undergraduate UK or EU students with confirmed financial support from the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) or from Student Finance (Student Loan Company: SLC) which covers the full tuition fee liability will not be invoiced for fees. Students with postgraduate loans will normally be sent an invoice.

Educational loans

Payment of fees will be expected in line with the loan pay dates so long as the University has confirmed proof of the educational loan and the loan covers the tuition fees charged.

Sponsorship or scholarship funded

Students who have provided proof to Student Administration: about sponsor or scholarship funding will only receive an invoice (to your SMS e-mail account) if the funding fails, does not cover the fee type charged or covers only part of the fees charged.

Related Links


Scholarships and Student Funding