Parental & Other Leave

Managing leave on grants

The funder and Research Grants Section should be informed if anyone directly employed on a research project is taking maternity, paternity or adoption leave. The policy of research funders with regard to increasing funding and extending the duration of the grants for Directly Incurred staff on maternity, paternity and adoption leave varies so please check the terms and conditions on the award letter and funder website or contact your Research Grants administrator (secured)in Research Grants for further information. Below are the terms and conditions of some of UoE’s main research funders:


  • The research grant will be compensated at the end of the grant to cover any additional net costs that cannot be met within the awarded budget.

  • An extension of up to 12 months can be requested by a JES Maintenance request or you can appoint a replacement to cover the post. RCUK must be informed in either case.

Wellcome Trust

  • The research grant will be supplemented by the value of the additional net cost and grant extended by the period of leave taken.

  • Please contact Wellcome Trust in advance to advise them of the expected maternity leave period. Research Grants can action this on your behalf. Please contact your Research Grants administrator (secured).

European Commission

  • Parental leave costs cannot be recovered from the European Commission, as such will need to be met by UCL. Please discuss an alternative funding source with your Department Administrator.

  • Some specific schemes (Marie Curie) do allow a period of suspension and a corresponding extension can be applied to the fellow’s appointment, subject to approval from the Commission.

Cancer Research UK

British Heart Foundation

Industry Funding

  • The contract budget value is fixed so any maternity leave salary expenditure would have to be deducted from the original budget. If this is not possible, please contact your Research Grants administrator. (secured)

If your research funder does not supplement the research budget and this expenditure cannot be covered within the grant please contact your Research Grants administrator or School Finance Team who will be able to give advice on alternative funding.


Related Links

Research Grants Administrator Contact Page

School Finance Team