Accessibility at King’s Buildings

The Small Works and Minor Projects team have recently completed two new accessible entrances on the King’s Buildings campus.

The projects created fully accessible main entrances to both the Joseph Black Building and the Grant Institute by way of new entrance ramps, footways and crossings.

The ramps were designed to ensure a unified entrance approach, using the same finishes already installed at the Ashworth Building entrance in 2018. Whilst the upgraded footways will ensure an integrated landscape to the Northern frontages of the campus.

The projects also made improvements to general pedestrian safety along the frontage of the two buildings, with clear and continuous footways and improved lighting. The works also enhance the one way system and safe drop off at the existing Arcadia Nursery building.

Further works will commence in summer 2020 to ensure the north side of the King’s Buildings Campus is fully accessible. 


In line with the University’s commitment to become zero waste by 2030 we donated surplus bricks, which were removed during the works, to the School of Geosciences for students to carry out experiments and conduct research.


The Joseph Black Building is the oldest on the King’s Buildings campus. King George V laid the foundation stone in 1920 and the School of Chemistry have been teaching in the building since 1922.

The Grant Institute was opened in 1931 and named after former Principal Sir Alexander Grant.

January 2020