New Learning and Teaching spaces created
An extensive refurbishment of the four storey building at 7-8 Chambers Street beside Adam House has been completed.
Originally built in 1887 the Grade C listed building was previously home to a police training school. It has been transformed to offer a range of centrally bookable, fully accessible Learning and Teaching spaces on ground and first floors. The basement area will house a new Trades Base for the Estates Department’s Maintenance team.
Students from the University’s School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture (ESALA) will use the top two floors where a series of light filled studios have been created. The building features high quality modern facilities while still retaining many of the key features of the original building.
The Estates Department worked with infrastructure firm, Robertson who carried out the refurbishment. The project was procured via Major Works Scotland, part of Scape’s National Construction framework. Scape is a public sector organisation dedicated to creating ongoing efficiency and social value via the built environment. The framework has been configured to deliver significant levels of local economic engagement, ongoing apprenticeship schemes and community initiatives through an extensive Scottish supply chain.
Mark Robinson, Scape Group chief executive, said: “The University of Edinburgh and Robertson have done a fantastic job in transforming 7-8 Chambers Street and providing the University’s Architecture and Landscape Architecture students with a new hub of design and inspiration. The project will have lasting benefits beyond the build process, which promises to help provide our industry with the next generation of architects.
“Working in a busy city centre location presents challenges during construction and Robertson was able to overcome these to deliver the scheme on budget and on time, while ensuring minimal disruption to residents, students and faculty staff.”