Mid 19th century. 3-stage, square-plan gothick tower with corbelled parapet and NE-facing, D-plan structure at base (1st stage). Ashlar sandstone with polished dressings; margins to openings; cornice and blocking course between 1st and 2nd stage; cornice course between 2nd and 3rd stage; raised cills to 3rd stage; strip quoins to 3rd stage; consoled battlements with corbelled, octagonal pinnacles to angles.1ST STAGE: NE ELEVATION: 3-bay. Evenly disposed square-plan columns with cornice and square cap (one missing) between each bay. Single window (blinded) to each bay; ashlar cope to wall sections between.SW ELEVATION: paired slit windows to advanced 1st stage of tower; flanking windows to base structure (one blinded).2ND STAGE: 2 small square-headed windows with small round headed window above, within recessed round-headed arch to each face.3RD STAGE: round-arched window with circular window above to each face.INTERIOR: turnpike stair inside tower
Initially intended as a hilltop eye-catcher for Dryden House, demolished in 1938, and is still a prominent landmark. It originally belonged to a wider landscape known locally as 'The Pleasure' which was destroyed by the construction of Bilston Glen colliery. It was perhaps built to commemorate the Battle of Roslin, 24th February, 1303, when the Scots successfully defeated three English Divisions.
Wherever possible we have installed access ramps and access lifts to help mobility-impaired building users gain access to our buildings.
We have also put in place disabled evacuation lifts and emergency evacuation procedures for wheelchair users in the event of fire.
|Listed building category|
|Year of build|
|Number of floors|
|Space management zone||Med+Vet|
|Gross internal area|