Learning and development
Information on available equality, diversity and inclusion [EDI] learning and development, and resources.
Please note the first four e-learning modules listed below are hosted on the University Learn platform. Instructions how to enrol here:
Self-Enrol by logging into Learn and log in with EASE at www.learn.ed.ac.uk
- Click on the “Self-Enrol” tab at the top right of your screen.
- Click the Browse Course Catalogue button and a search window will appear.
- Enter the name of the course you wish to enrol onto in the search box and click Go
- Hover your mouse pointer to the right of the Course ID, click the arrow and select Enrol.
- You will then be taken to a new page. To complete your enrolment on this course select Submit.
- You will then see a confirmation message to say your enrolment was successful.
- Click OK and you will be taken to the course.
The course will now appear in your My Courses under the 'My Learn' tab every time you login to Learn.
Training can be carried out on these modules at your own pace. If you don’t want to complete the course in one session, click on 'Bookmark' before exiting and the module will automatically take you back to where you left off when you next log in.
Increase your knowledge and understanding of equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI) and what they are.
This module explores what Equality, Diversity & Inclusion and why they are important and why you/we should commit to making them happen. It outlines key legislation in relation to equality, and defines different forms of discrimination and unacceptable behaviours.
- Understand what equality and diversity are; why they are important to you; and what the benefits are
- Review key legislation in place to promote equality and how it applies in practice
- Understand main EDI barriers faced and how to break them down
- How to challenge unacceptable behaviours and steps you can take if you feel that you or anyone else is being treated unfairly
By the end of this course you will be able to explain what bias is and where it comes from; how it impacts on the people around us in the workplace; and what you can do to minimise the negative consequences.
This module explores what Unconscious Bias (UB) is, what it means, and how it impacts on the people around us in the workplace
- Understand what bias is and where it comes from
- How it impacts on day to day behaviours and what you can do to minimise negative consequences
- Actions you can take to resist the effects of UB in yourself and others.
This module explains what Equality Impact Assessments (EqIAs) are and why we need to do them. EqIAs are an opportunity to think about the effects our policies and working practices have on others and what we can do to break down barriers to equality. This module will also take you through how to complete an EqIA.
If you experience any problems with the aforementioned e-learning training modules, please email email@example.com
Further resources for staff
This training is not a University of Edinburgh module, but links to an external organisation - Foundation online learning. You will have to register your details to access the training. At the following link select Equality and Diversity, then Trans-gender equality - the 7th strand, and register your details where prompted:
Course Enhancement Questionnaires and link to Equality/Unconscious Bias trainingmodules for students at:
Further sources of information and guidance
Further resources and guidance on E&D related issues.
Dr Pete Jones, C.Psychol. C. Sci. AFBPSs, Shire Professional Chartered Psychologists, 24-minute video on the science behind unconscious bias. Note it is for internal use only, and not for use by external trainers and consultants.