Equality and Diversity


Information on family friendly support for students during their study time with the University.


The University provides a range of funding to support you if you are UK student with children. In addition to fees and loans there are sources of funding which do not need to be repaid, including:

  • Lone Parents Grant and Lone Parents Childcare Grant
  • Childcare Fund
  • Day Nursery Bursaries

EUSA Advice Place

EUSA Advice Place can help students with information and advice on various childcare issues and on the financial support noted above.

Nursery facilities

Childcare is available at the University, making it easier to juggle parenthood work and study.

Arcadia Nursery

The Arcadia Nursery is at the King's Buildings campus.

Further information at:

Council Nurseries

Edinburgh's Childcare Information Service is a free, impartial service which provides you with information on registered childcare.

Government Support

If you're a full-time higher education student with dependent children, you may be able to get extra financial help. A Government Childcare Grant is available to help with childcare costs, and the Parents' Learning Allowance with your learning costs.

Other help includes Child Tax Credit and the Access to Learning Fund.