Disabled Staff Network
A Disabled Staff Network with membership open to all disabled staff and carers.
Primarily, we aim to provide a network of mutual support and a collective voice for staff with disabilities, restrictive health conditions and caring responsibilities.
We also maintain close links with Human Resources, in particular the Equality Diversity & Inclusion Team, to progress disability issues and make improvements.
We hold six meetings a year and maintain an email distribution list via which we share and request information about disability.
- Bring together staff with disabilities, restrictive health conditions and caring responsibilities in a safe space and a confidential environment to share experiences, information and support, to discuss disability issues and to network.
- Gather and share best practice, knowledge, ideas and thoughts on disability issues to benefit operational, research and academic work.
- Inform the University's approach to creating an inclusive and supportive culture and help to develop effective solutions by acting as a forum and a point of contact for the University to consult with on relevant policies and projects.
- Raise the profile of disabled staff and disability within the University and beyond
We hold six meetings a year. These meetings are an hour long and usually between 13:00 and 14:00. A sandwich lunch is provided. Three of these meetings are more formal Committee style meetings with a set agenda intended to help progress the business of the Network.
All staff with an interest in disability are welcome to attend these sessions The other three meetings are less formal sessions for mutual support and networking. Please see the Meetings page for details of upcoming meetings.
Upcoming Meetings 2020:
All meetings held on a Wednesday at 1.00pm
- 19th February, Room G.03, Informatics Forum, Ground Floor, Central Campus See: https://www.ed.ac.uk/maps/maps?building=informatics-forum
- 15th April, Room G.10, Murchison House, King's Buildings Campus. See: https://www.ed.ac.uk/maps/maps?building=murchison-house
- 17th June, Room G.03, Informatics Forum, Ground Floor, Central Campus, See: https://www.ed.ac.uk/maps/maps?building=informatics-forum
- 19th August, Room 5.07, Appleton Tower, Central Campus. See: https://www.ed.ac.uk/maps/maps?building=appleton-tower
- 21st October, - venue to be advised - Kings Building Campus.
- Wednesday 16th December, venue to be advised - Central Campus.
We welcome staff with disabilities, potentially restrictive health conditions and caring responsibilities and all staff who feel the Network is relevant to them. We are keen to welcome staff regardless of whether you self-identify as disabled.
We will never ask you to disclose your disability, health condition or caring responsibilities. We appreciate that not all disabilities are visible or permanent. If you are unsure if the Network is for you please come along to our next meeting or get in touch.
There is currently one co-convener:
- Catherine Gilliland - Convener
- Siobhan Carroll
- Aurora Constantin
- Allison Kruk
- Kristina Tamane-Laing
Get in touch with the Disabled Staff Network co-conveners by emailing DSN@ed.ac.uk. All emails will be treated in confidence.
We have a SharePoint site with a collection of resources at: https://uoe.sharepoint.com/sites/DisabledStaffNetwork