Disabled Staff Network
A Disabled Staff Network has been formed with membership open to all disabled staff and carers.
Primarily, we aim to provide a network of mutual support and a collective voice for staff with disabilities, restrictive health conditions and caring responsibilities.
We also maintain close links with Human Resources, in particular the Equality and Diversity Group. We work together with the Equality and Diversity Group and the Staff Disability Officer, Jean Tennant, to progress disability issues and make improvements.
We hold six meetings a year and maintain an email distribution list via which we share and request information about disability.
- Bring together staff with disabilities, restrictive health conditions and caring responsibilities in a safe space and a confidential environment to share experiences, information and support, to discuss disability issues and to network.
- Gather and share best practice, knowledge, ideas and thoughts on disability issues to benefit operational, research and academic work.
- Inform the University's approach to creating an inclusive and supportive culture and help to develop effective solutions by acting as a forum and a point of contact for the University to consult with on relevant policies and projects.
- Raise the profile of disabled staff and disability within the University and beyond
We hold six meetings a year. These meetings are an hour long and usually between 13:00 and 14:00. A sandwich lunch is provided. Three of these meetings are more formal Committee style meetings with a set agenda intended to help progress the business of the Network.
All staff with an interest in disability are welcome to attend these sessions The other three meetings are less formal sessions for mutual support and networking. Please see the Meetings page for details of upcoming meetings.
- Wednesday 25 July 2018 Peer Meeting (Boardroom, Evolution House) https://www.ed.ac.uk/maps/maps?building=evolution-house
- Friday 12 October 2018 Committee Meeting (Assembly Room, ECCI) https://www.ed.ac.uk/maps/maps?building=ecci
- Wednesday 28 November 2018 Peer Meeting (TBC)
We welcome staff with disabilities, potentially restrictive health conditions and caring responsibilities and all staff who feel the Network is relevant to them. We are keen to welcome staff regardless of whether you self-identify as disabled.
We will never ask you to disclose your disability, health condition or caring responsibilities. We appreciate that not all disabilities are visible or permanent. If you are unsure if the Network is for you please come along to our next meeting or get in touch.
There is currently one co-convener:
- Catherine Gilliland
Get in touch with the Disabled Staff Network co-conveners by emailing DSN@ed.ac.uk. All emails will be treated in confidence.
We have a SharePoint site with a collection of resources at: https://uoe.sharepoint.com/sites/DisabledStaffNetwork