Race Equality and Anti-Racist Sub-Committee (REAR)
The Race Equality and Anti-Racist Sub-Committee (REAR) is a thematic committee of the University Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Committee (EDIC).
The University of Edinburgh will take action against racism in its various forms (personal, cultural and institutional). We do not wish to be complicit through silence and inaction. We wish to establish an ethos and culture that promotes inclusion, respect and dignity and has a zero-tolerance approach to any form of discrimination.
Terms of Reference
The aim of this group is to ensure and promote activity across the University to end systemic racism and the inclusion of BME staff and students. The group will recommend actions (evidence based) which the EDI Committee can take up to the University Executive. It will also oversee the Race Equality and Anti-Racist Action Plan.
The work of the group has also been informed by the Thematic Review of Student Support for Black and Minority Ethnic Students, the EDMARC Report 2018/19 sections on Ethnicity, points raised from student and staff petitions as a result of the events related to Black Lives Matter and the Equality and Human Rights Commission Report (2019) on Tackling racial harassment.
UoE Race Equality and Anti-Racist (REAR) Action Plan for 2020/21:
Membership of the Sub-Committee:
The proposed membership is as follows:
- College – each College EDI Committee to nominate two members
- BAME Mentoring Network
- Edinburgh Diversity and Inclusion Network (EDIN)
- Edinburgh Race Equality Network
- Women of Colour Network
- BAME Network
- BlackEd Movement – 2 spaces
- Professional Service Areas – 2 spaces
- Joint Trade Union Group
- Central University Human Resources
- Communications and Marketing
- Mastercard Scholars Foundation
- Philanthropy and Donor Relations
- Co-option: The Sub-Group will co-opt as necessary to ensure diverse representation and to ensure various stakeholders in the University are included