Phyllis Mary Bone
Sculptor and Edinburgh College of Art graduate.
Phyllis Mary Bone was born on 15 February 1894 in Hornby, Lancashire. She was educated at St George's High School in Edinburgh and then, from 1912 to 1918, at Edinburgh College of Art. She trained at ECA as a sculptor under Alexander Carrick, head of sculpture and one of Scotland's leading monumental sculptors of the early 20th century. She received a Diploma in Sculpture in 1918.
During this period she also travelled to Paris under a travel scholarship to train as an animal sculptor under Edouard Navellier.
After returning to Edinburgh she established herself and gained fame as a sculptor of animal subjects; working initially within the Holyrood Pottery, run by Scottish artist Henry Taylor Wyse, and then independently.
Phyllis was elected an associate member of the Royal Scottish Academy in 1939 and was the first woman to ever become a full member in 1940.