What are equality and diversity?
What are equality and diversity, and how can we promote them?
What is equality?
Equality is ensuring individuals or groups of individuals are not treated differently or less favourably , on the basis of their specific protected characteristic, including areas of race, gender, disability, religion or belief, sexual orientation and age.
Promoting equality should remove discrimination in all of the aforementioned areas. Bullying, harassment or victimization are also considered as equality and diversity issues.
What is diversity?
Diversity aims to recognise, respect and value people’s differences to contribute and realise their full potential by promoting an inclusive culture for all staff and students.
How can we promote equality and diversity?
We can promote equality and diversity by:
- treating all staff and students fairly
- creating an inclusive culture for all staff and students
- ensuring equal access to opportunities to enable students to fully participate in the learning process
- enabling all staff and students to develop to their full potential
- equipping staff and students with the skills to challenge inequality and discrimination in their work/study environment
- making certain that any learning materials do not discriminate against any individuals or groups
- ensuring policies, procedures and processes don't discriminate