Summer Course Information
Information about course content, timetable and fees.
We are committed to providing the 7- and 10-week Pre-sessional English for Academic Purposes programme and can confirm that we will be offering the programme online this year. The programme, course content and learning outcomes will remain exactly as advertised on our website, but the delivery of the programme will change from in-person to online.
Online Course Content
You will have the opportunity to improve your skills and language in English for Academic Purposes, and prepare for successful transition into your disciplinary area. You will benefit from:
- Programme delivery by a team of experienced EAP tutors
- A weekly live (and recorded) learning overview given by a Course Director
- Live daily online class sessions with your tutor
- Tutorials with your teacher for individually tailored support and feedback
- Carefully designed study tasks, based on course materials and recorded lectures
- Frequent written assignments with individual feedback (approx. 15 hours per week)
- Opportunities to engage and collaborate with other students on discussion boards
|Course 1 & 2 - English for Academic Purposes||Course 3 - English for Specialist Academic Purposes|
The details of your timetable will vary according to your particular course, but each day you will have live contact with your class and your tutor, and a number of tasks that you do at times convenient for you. These tasks include regular assignments that you submit to your tutor for feedback.
Live Contact Time
On a typical day, you will have a 40-minute live online class with your tutor. On each Pre-sessional course, you will have one or more tutorial meeting with your class tutor, either in a small group or individually.
Depending on the course, your daily tasks may include:
- Listening to recorded lectures about academic writing and reading
- Completing study tasks practising the points made in the lectures
- Reading academic texts such as journal articles
- Listening to recorded Guest Lectures and making notes
- Writing different types of academic text based academic articles or lectures and submitting them to your tutor for feedback
- Preparing to participate in online seminars in which you discuss academic articles you have read
- Recording oral presentations and submitting them for feedback
- Interacting with classmates and tutors on Discussion Boards
Online Course Dates and Fees 2020
|English for Academic Purposes (EAP)||Weeks||Dates||Fee|
|10-week Programme (Course 1, Course 2 and ESAP)||10||29 Jun - 03 Sept||£4,630|
|7-week Programme (Course 2 and ESAP)||7||20 Jul - 03 Sept||£3,240|
(4-week ESAP courses are not offered as stand-alone courses)
The British Association of Lecturers in English for Academic Purposes (BALEAP) inspects and accredits Academic English courses against rigorous criteria covering five categories to give an assurance of quality to students, and to support staff across the profession in meeting and exceeding these agreed standards.
Accreditation occurs every four years. Comments from the 2019 report on our summer courses include:
"There is clear information and guidance for students on leaving the Presessional Course. Of particular note is the care taken to offer alternative pathways for the few students who fail to meet their target grades for progression into their intended academic course of study."
"The student experience is very well supported by central university services."