Excluded Lives: Political Economies of School Exclusion in the UK
This Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) large grant aims to advance a multi-disciplinary understanding, and home-international comparison, of the political economies of exclusion, and how more equitable outcomes can be achieved for pupils, their families, and professionals.
The research is organised into three work strands running across the four years of the project.
- Strand A: Landscapes of Exclusion, is designed to examine the ways in which legal frameworks, policies, and practices of regulation shape systemic practice; and the patterns, characteristics and consequences of exclusion.
- Strand B: Experiences of Exclusion, will focus on families’, pupils’ and professionals’ experiences of the risks and consequences of exclusion.
- Strand C: Costs and integration, will examine the financial costs associated with exclusion; it will also integrate findings within and across jurisdictions to ensure that the learning is continuous as the research develops a coherent multidisciplinary understanding of political economies of exclusion.
Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) Large Grant | Grant number: ES/S015744/1
|Start date||1st October 2019|
|End date||30th September 2023|
Edinburgh Principal Investigator: Professor Gillean McCluskey
Co-Investigator: Dr Ingrid Obsuth (Health in Social Sciences)
Co-Investigaor: Dr Aja Murray (Health in Social Sciences)
Research Assistant, Dr Laura Robertson
Collaborating research partners
- Co-Investigators at the University of Oxford:
- Co-Investigators at Queen’s University Belfast:
- Laura Lundy, Co-Director of the Centre for Children’s Rights
- Tony Gallagher, Professor of Education at the School of Social Sciences, Education and Social Work
- Gavin Duffy, Lecturer at the School of Social Sciences Education and Social Work
- Gareth Robinson, Research Fellow at the School of Social Sciences, Education and Social Work
- Co-Investigators at the Wales Institute of Social and Economic Research Data and Method (WISERD), Cardiff University:
- Co-Investigator at London School of Economics: Eva Bonin, Assistant Professorial Research Fellow at the Care Policy and Evaluation Centre (CPEC)
- McCluskey, Gillean (17 March, 2020). BERA Blog, "Why do school exclusion rates continue to rise in England?"
- Daniels, H., Thompson, I., Porter, J., Tawell, A. and Emery, H. (2020). School exclusion risks after COVID-19. A report for ESCR. Oxford: Excluded Lives, University of Oxford.
Previous project associated with this one
This project builds on previous research funded by the John Fell Fund, "Disparities in rates of permanent exclusion from school across the UK" (£39,790).
Twitter handle @excludedlives