ETAL Seminars and conferences
Conferences, seminars and Invited talks are listed here.
Edinburgh TESOL and Applied Language (ETAL) Seminar Series | Jan - Mar 2018
About the seminar series
- A series of six 45 minute talks + 30 minutes discussion
- In Paterson’s Land - Room LG34 every 2nd Wednesday at 5.00 - 6.30pm - from 17 January - 28 March 2018 (all dates listed below)
- 3 external and 3 internal guest speakers on topics related to language study, language learning and language teaching. Aimed at researchers and teaching staff with an interest in language, and MSc TESOL, MSc Language Teaching, MSc Applied Linguistics, PhD and EdD students
- No need to book a place. Any questions, contact Joan firstname.lastname@example.org or Bróna email@example.com
Dates / Speakers / Titles
- 17 January 2018: Professor Do Coyle, Edinburgh: Why language teachers need to care: making sense of a pluriliteracies approach to deeper learning from a transdisciplinary and translinguistic perspective
- 31 January 2018: Professor Jonathan Culpeper, Lancaster: Impoliteness: A survey
- 14 February 2018: Dr Robert Sharples, Edinburgh: Is it time for a ‘mobile turn’ in EAL?
- Please note, the 28 February 2018 Dr Yongcan Liu's seminar has been cancelled.
- 14 March 2018: Dr Samaneh Zandian, Edinburgh: Children’s perceptions of intercultural encounters: Exploration into an Iranian Context
- 28 March 2018: Professor Steve Walsh, Newcastle: Dialogic Reflection
SATEAL Conference 2018 | 17 March
The annual conference of the Scottish Association for Teachers of EAL
Date/Time: Sat 17 March 2018
EELC Conference 2018 - Edinburgh | Linguistic Ethnography in a Changing World | 20-21 Sept
EELC Conference 2018 will bring together researchers from around the world, to share research around ethnography, language and communication. The conference title is ‘Linguistic Ethnography in a Changing World’ – asking how LE might contribute to public and scholarly debate.
Keynote Speakers: Plenary: Dr Deborah Swinglehurst and Jürgen Jaspers
Workshops: Digital Ethnography Workshop: Professor Rodney Jones, Multimodal Interaction Workshop: Dr Jeff Bezemer
Date: Thursday 20 - Friday 21 September 2018
Venue: Holyrood Campus
Further information: A link to the conference website will be available here soon
Examples of some of ETAL's past events
BALSIG Conference 2015
BAAL Language Learning & Teaching SIG 2015 (11th) Annual Conference
Date & Time: 2 -3 July 2015
Further information: BAALSIG Conference 2015 website
University accommodation options and hotels near Moray House School of Education: University accommodation