Muslim Families’ Experiences (MFEEES)
For Muslim pupils in Britain education may either provide opportunities for high achievement and social mobility or, conversely, reinforce low aspirations and social marginalisation.
This three-year project will examine:
- the reasons underlying the school choices of Muslim parents in a range of geographical and social locations across the United Kingdom
- the educational experiences and attainment levels of Muslim pupils in different types of school and geographical locations
- the way in which pupils accommodate the influence of home, school and community within the process of identity formation
The research will be conducted in England and Scotland where there is great local diversity in terms of the ethnicity and religious background of population, types of school and the diversity of involvement of religious authorities in school governance.
|Start date||January 2010|
|End date||December 2012|
A collaborative project between the Centre for Research in Education Inclusion and Diversity, University of Edinburgh (Sheila Riddell, Elisabet Weedon, Linda Ahlgren) and the Institute of Education, University of London (Sue Walters)
Muslim Families’ Experiences of the Education System in England and Scotland: What are the key messages of the research for policy and practice?
- Muslim Families’ Educational Experiences in England and Scotland Final Report
- CREID Briefing 28
- Working paper 1 - September 2010. Education Policy and Structures in England (PDF)
- Working paper 2 - August 2010. Educational Policy and Structures in Scotland (PDF)
- The historical context of religion and education in Scotland (PowerPoint)
- Overview of Muslim pupils' educational outcomes (PowerPoint)
TESS: Religion - Diversity within Muslim community 'unrecognised'
For further information about the project contact Professor Sheila Riddell.
Professor Sheila Riddell
- Centre for Research in Education Inclusion and Diversity
- Moray House School of Education
- University of Edinburgh
- Work: 0131 651 6597
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Simon Laurie House
- Post Code
- EH8 8AQ