Jane Mulderrig completed her doctoral studies at Lancaster University on the discourse of education policy. She has taught English language and linguistics in schools and universities in both Japan (Hokkaido) and the UK (Sussex, Lancaster). Her linguistic interdisciplinary research interests include a variety of approaches to questions of social inclusion and citizenship in contemporary society.
- Centre for Research in Education Inclusion and Diversity
- Moray House School of Education
- University of Edinburgh
She worked at CREID with a multidisciplinary team on a range of projects, including a European comparative study of lifelong learning policies, restorative practices in Scottish schools, and post-devolution child protection policy. She was also involved in developing plans for research on ageing, language, and ICTs in the information society.
Jane's publications explore the application of critical discourse analysis to education policy.
Papers in books
- Mulderrig, J (2005) “Critical Discourse Analysis in Educational Research: a study of New Labour”, Anthony Green and Glenn Rikowski (eds.): Marxism and Education: Renewing Dialogues Volume 1 – Opening the Dialogue Palgrave Macmillan
Refereed journal articles
- Mulderrig, J., Litjens, J., and Weedon, E. (2006) Consultation to Inform the University of Edinburgh’s Disability Equality Scheme Edinburgh: University of Edinburgh
- Riddell, S., Tisdall, K., Kane, J., and Mulderrig, J. (2006) Literature Review of Educational Provision for Pupils with Additional Support Needs: final report to the Scottish Executive Education Department, Edinburgh: University of Edinburgh
- Mulderrig, J (2003) "Learning to Labour: the discursive construction of social actors in New Labour's education policy", Merle Tönnies (ed.): Britain under Blair, special edition of Anglistik & Englischunterricht 65, pp. 123-145, Heidelberg: Winter Verlag
- Mulderrig, J (2003) “Consuming Education: a critical discourse analysis of social actors in New Labour’s education policy”, in Journal of Critical Education Policy Studies 1 (1)