PhD in Sport
Social sciences, humanities and inter-disciplinary research in sport makes a difference.
Our past and present doctoral students have covered a wide diversity of sporting problems and issues but also sports contribution to health, development, the environment, tackling inequality and much more.
Browse our impact pages to look at some of our research themes.
Research students are encouraged to think about the inter-related nature of evidence, analysis and advocacy or intervention.
Staff are part of a team which was recently voted 1st in Scotland for Sport and Exercise research.
You will be part of our vibrant Moray House School of Education and Sport.
A wide range of research interests
The following are some of the many areas our doctoral students and staff have focused their research upon:
- Sport, Poverty and Homelessness
- Ethnographic Studies of Sport
- Sport and the Global South
- Sport as Foreign Policy, and Cultural Diplomacy
- Sport and the City: Legacies and Major Events
- The Social Impact of Sport
- Inequality Audits of Sports Organizations
- Sport and Physical Activity for Health
- Histories of Sporting People, Places and Communities
- Sport and the Commonwealth
- Sport and Religion
- Sport as Aid and International Development