This is an intermediate timetabling course on 24th February 2021 for those that have completed the effective timetabling course or those with some knowledge of timetabling.
In building a curriculum where all young people experience the Curriculum for Excellence principles, the skills of the school timetabler play a key role in the process. Curriculum models can be quite innovative and at times quite a challenge for the team putting together the timetable.
This additional, intermediate-level course - for those who have already completed the classic 'effective timetabling' course - is a one-day programme for staff members with some experience of timetabling or those with some basic knowledge of timetable construction.
The course will provide some thoughts, ideas and techniques that could support a school wishing to develop their curriculum model to better meet the needs of learners.
During the course, participants will:
- Look at the parameters within which a curriculum is designed and constructed. E.g. teacher contracts, structure of the school day, SQA subjects offered, length of teaching units etc.
- Meet with colleagues to share different school curricular arrangements across all age groups of learners and share timetabling experiences delivering different designs.
- Look at some examples of different approaches to timetabling the senior phase in CfE. E.g. single cohorts of pupils from S4 to S6.
- Look at some ways of timetabling choice for pupils in the BGE.
- Consider inter-disciplinary learning and its delivery within a timetable.
- Consider ways of delivering pupil entitlement subjects across all the year groups.
This is a one-day course costing £139. Places will be allocated on a first come first served basis.
Date: Wednesday 24th February 2021
Time: 9.15am - 4.30pm
Please note, if you would like the course to be invoiced to your school, please ensure you organise a PO number through your school office before applying. Unfortunately we are unable to chase each school individually to obtain a PO number.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for enquiries regarding this course.
All parts of the programme will include some practical exercises to reinforce some of the techniques and ideas examined during the day.
|0915-0930||Tea, coffee, registration|
|0930-1030||Curriculum design and the school week|
|1100-1300||Using software to facilitate pupil free choice in the curriculum|
|1400-1500||Senior phase – an approach to a single cohort|
|1500-1600||Consortia arrangements in the senior phase|