This is an intermediate timetabling course for those that have completed the effective timetabling course or with some knowledge of timetabling. The next course will be in February 2022.
In building a curriculum where all young people experience the Curriculum for Excellence principles, the skills of the school timetabler play a key role in the process. Curriculum models can be quite innovative and at times quite a challenge for the team putting together the timetable.
This additional, intermediate-level course - for those who have already completed the introductory Effective Timetabling course - is a one-day programme for staff members with some experience of timetabling or those with some basic knowledge of timetable construction.
The course will provide some thoughts, ideas and techniques that could support a school wishing to develop their curriculum model to better meet the needs of learners.
During the course, participants will:
- Look at the parameters within which a curriculum is designed and constructed. E.g. teacher contracts, structure of the school day, SQA subjects offered, length of teaching units etc.
- Meet with colleagues to share different school curricular arrangements across all age groups of learners and share timetabling experiences delivering different designs.
- Look at some examples of different approaches to timetabling the senior phase in CfE. E.g. single cohorts of pupils from S4 to S6.
- Look at some ways of timetabling choice for pupils in the BGE.
- Consider inter-disciplinary learning and its delivery within a timetable.
- Consider ways of delivering pupil entitlement subjects across all the year groups.
This is a one-day course costing £139. Places will be allocated on a first come first served basis.
Date: February 2022 (TBC)
Time: 9.15am - 4.30pm
All parts of the programme will include some practical exercises to reinforce some of the techniques and ideas examined during the day.
|0915-0930||Tea, coffee, registration|
|0930-1030||Curriculum design and the school week|
|1100-1300||Using software to facilitate pupil free choice in the curriculum|
|1400-1500||Senior phase – an approach to a single cohort|
|1500-1600||Consortia arrangements in the senior phase|
Register your interest
If you would like to be notified when booking opens for the next intermediate timetabling course, please email the Professional Learning Team.