Returning to Teaching Course
Our next national online course for professionals returning to teaching or new to the Scottish Education System begins on 29th March 2019. If you would like to book a place, please complete our online booking form below. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Moray House School of Education, in partnership with our six partner authorities (City of Edinburgh Council, East Lothian, Fife, Midlothian, Scottish Borders and West Lothian) is offering this new online* Returning to Teaching course for primary and secondary teachers.
The course is designed for professionals who have a teaching qualification but have had a career break or are new to the Scottish Education system.
The course will be most relevant for:
- Those wishing to return to teaching in Scotland after a period away from the profession.
- Those wishing to teach in Scotland for the first time from both Primary and Secondary sectors.
- Those who wish to engage with the course to support a Professional Update submission to the GTCS.
- Teachers in the independent sector to support a potential GTCS registration application.
- Understand and engage with current National Education Policy and the Professional Teaching Standards in Scotland, providing teachers with information on recent changes in national priorities.
- Work collaboratively to develop an awareness of professional identity and teacher professionalism, discovering yourself as a learner and as a practitioner committed to career long professional learning.
- Develop a critical awareness of own values, beliefs and practices and how these align with the Professional Standards and current educational policy in Scotland.
- Consider and engage with key areas of social justice and equality in the classroom and develop thinking and strategies for a socially just classroom.
- Understand key legal and policy requirements relating to inclusive policies and strategies in school to address barriers to learning.
- To advise on current curriculum guidelines and their implications for professional practice.
- To increase confidence in completing applications and preparing for interview.
The next course will be offered from 29th March to June 2019 in a blended learning format. This includes an introductory week starting on Friday 29th March 2019 and ten weeks of online teaching with two in-person sessions normally held at Moray House School of Education, University of Edinburgh. If you live internationally or are otherwise unable to attend the in-person sessions, you will still be able to access the content online.
Please see below for an indication of the sessions included in the course.
|Week 0 (online) beginning on Friday 29th March 2019||Introduction to Returning to Teaching (RTT) and the landscape of Education in Scotland|
Week 1 (online, and a face-to-face session on Saturday 6th April from 9:30 to 16:00 in Edinburgh
|Professional Values Professional Standards Learning for Sustainability The National Attainment Challenge|
|Week 2 (online)||Introduction to the Scottish Curriculum Curriculum for Excellence: principles, design and purpose|
|Week 3 (online)||Curriculum for Excellence • Curriculum for Excellence in Practice • Critical literacy in the classroom|
|Week 4 (online)||Curriculum for Excellence • The planning process|
|Week 5 (online)||Getting it right for every child (GIRFEC) Child Protection Mentally Healthy School|
|Reading week||Time to catch up on readings or engage in additional readings on the subject of your choice|
|Week 6 (online)||Equality, Race, Diversity|
|Week 7 (online)||Inclusive Pedagogies • Additional Support Needs (ASN), policies and practice|
|Week 8 (online)||Positive behaviour strategies/Restorative Practice|
|Week 9 (online)||Assessment as and for Learning|
|Week 10 (online, and a face-to-face session on Saturday 15th June from 9:30 to 16:00 in Edinburgh||
Assessment as Enquiry Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) Employability Award of certificates and reception
The two face-to-face sessions will be delivered at Moray House School of Education.
2018 course fee / Application form
The fee for this course is £450 for courses running during the 2018-19 academic year.
To apply, please complete the following application form. Please note the deadline for new applications is 5pm on Friday 22nd March 2019.
Return to Teaching videos
Videos from Rosa Murray (the course organiser), John Swinney (MSP and the Cabinet Secretary for Education and Skills) and previous course participants.
Quotations from previous participants
Without the RTT course, I wouldn’t have been back in teaching. Such a valuable course, thanks to all who made it happen.
I found the course refreshing and highly beneficial. The material was a great mix of policy, principles, progress and passion – essential for those returning. So much has changed and its good to know Moray House, the GTCS and the teaching profession have our backs.
The RTT course has helped me go straight in [to teaching] after a 13 year break on curriculum, pedagogy, formative assessment, active and collaborative learning, classroom management and planning for different learning needs. It's tough but rewarding and I'm surviving just fine.
I am very happy that I joined the course. It has helped me to understand deeper what is required to teach in Scotland, as well as has given me an insight on my own teaching and what I can do to improve it.
I am very satisfied for the understanding that doing the course has given me of what is required of teaching in Scotland and how the course was delivered as it made it easier for me to study online and on my own time.
The course has helped me to understand curriculum for excellence, GIRFEC, the Scottish attainment challenge and given me a good overview about teaching in Scotland in 2017. I would recommend the course to other colleagues who wish to return to the profession. The course has given me some good ideas and strategies for teaching and learning. I found the course very helpful for GTCS professional update.