In 2022 we celebrated 50 years of Outdoor and Environmental Education postgraduate programmes at the University of Edinburgh. Since 1972, the Outdoor and Environmental Education unit of the University of Edinburgh has been at the international forefront of providing postgraduate degrees in all aspects of outdoor, environmental and sustainability education.
- Video: Outdoor & Environmental Education programmes: Past, present, and future
- Our team of dedicated staff describe the Outdoor and Environmental Education post graduate programmes, their history, impact and importance throughout it's 50-year history at the University of Edinburgh. Footage produced by Catherine Dunn, film commissioned and funded by Moray House School of Education and Sport. Thanks to our staff for taking part.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Outdoor Education has been offered since 1972, the Master’s in Outdoor Education since 1996 and the Outdoor Environmental and Sustainability Education Masters programmes have been offered since 2005.
Students from around the world have come and gone for half a century, to learn in, through, about, and for the environment. We have over 800 alumni from across the world and our aim is to build a connected global community.
In June 2022 over 100 staff, current students, alumni, friends and family came together in Edinburgh to celebrate in person and many also joined us online. Celebrations spanned the weekend and facilitated conversations between alumni, present students, and staff to share memories and learning, and to celebrate both the longevity and uniqueness of the postgraduate programmes.
These alumni had completed the programme I was working on, they’d already submitted their dissertations and speaking to them was thrilling. Hearing where people have landed after completing their postgraduate studies in outdoor and environmental education was inspiring. I felt like I was looking into the future, seeing all the possibilities for me. I could see that I had a future after this programme.
This is how Alumni events should be! What a fantastic way to bring together current students with Alumni and staff.
- Looking back - The history of Outdoor & Environmental Education at the University of Edinburgh by Professor Peter Higgins, Chair in Outdoor Environmental & Sustainability Education, Moray House School of Education and Sport.
- Video: Looking back – The history of Outdoor & Environmental Education at Edinburgh University
- Looking back – The history of Outdoor & Environmental Education at Edinburgh University - Professor Peter Higgins
- Celebrating 50 years of Outdoor & Environmental Education programmes – Full Event Recording 11 June 2022
Vox pop interviews
Whilst celebrating 50 years of Outdoor & Environmental Education programmes we asked our alumni what advice they would give to new students, their most memorable moments on the programme and the impact the programme had on their lives.
- Video: Celebrating 50 years of Outdoor & Environmental Education programmes Vox Pop Interviews with our alumni
- In 2022, whilst celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Outdoor and Environmental Education postgraduate programmes at the University of Edinburgh our alumni were asked what advice they would give to new students, their most memorable moments on the programme and the impact the programme had on their lives. This is what they said...
See our alumni page for more information about our alumni activities and our plans to build a connected global alumni community.