William B Inglis
William Inglis initially joined Moray House as Depute Director of Studies and became Principal when the Moray House College of Education was established in 1959.
William Inglis attended Paisley Grammar School and followed a Senior Studentship at a Training College. He lectured initially in the Education Department at Glasgow University with a particular remit for developing adult education in Clydebank.
He joined Moray House in October 1940 as Depute Director of Studies when Professor Sir Godfrey Thomson held the dual posts of Professor of Education at Edinburgh University and Director of Studies of Moray House. When Professor Sir Godfrey retired in 1951 these two posts were separated, with Dr Inglis promoted to Director of Studies. At the creation of Moray House College of Education in 1959 he became the College’s Principal.
He was Principal at a period of significant change. The creation of a self-governing College in 1959 required a lengthy and exacting review of its courses, their curricula and the teaching methods deployed. With the increasing need for more teachers there was the related need to add to the teaching accommodation at Moray House. Dr Inglis argued cogently with the SED about the requirements of the College.
He was also concerned to widen the professional work of the College. In 1941 he had been a founder member of the Scottish Youth Leadership Training Association. In 1944 the Association established the first training course for youth leaders in Scotland and he supported the development of the training of youth leaders at Moray House. Another area of development and expansion was of courses designed specifically for teachers and related professionals from overseas. From the first course in 1955 this area expanded leading to the creation of the Scottish Centre for Education Overseas.
The Governors of the College recorded one achievement of Dr Inglis in particular:
“ ...the Principal had brought to a completely successful conclusion the negotiations between the College and the University of Edinburgh for the institution of the joint degree-diploma course.”
This success was due entirely to his far-seeing discernment and tactful diplomacy.
He contributed to the work of the Scottish Council for Research in Education, including his ‘Studies in Reading’ published in 1948 and 1956. His other publications included: The Scottish Tradition of Public Education, Evans, 1957; and Towards a Self-Governing Teaching Profession, MHCE, 1972.
On his retirement in October 1966 he was appointed to the special post of Research Lecturer in Education. The Governors recorded:
“ When Dr Inglis entered upon the office of Principal, the prestige of Moray House College of Education was already high. He leaves it with that prestige enhanced in every sector of education and a record of progressive development unsurpassed in this country.”
On his retirement he commissioned David Miller, a member of staff, to create a bronze sculpture; this is currently in Reception at Moray House.