East Suffolk Road Hostels
EAST SUFFOLK ROAD HOSTELS
Moray House's Newington Campus
The East Suffolk Road Hostels at Newington, south Edinburgh, were the first purpose built residences developed exclusively for women students in Scotland.
The first phase of hostel building: 1913 - 1917
Following an initiative by Professor Alexander Darroch, Chairman of the Edinburgh Provincial Committee, and Professor Sir Richard Lodge, Dean of Edinburgh University’s Faculty of Arts, formal agreement was reached in July 1913 establishing The Edinburgh Association for the Provision of Hostels for Women Students.
The 1920s and the Second World War
The need for additional hostel places continued to grow. By 1923/4 funding for two further buildings became available and work started in October 1925.
The Newington painting collection
The East Suffolk Road Hostels were renowned for their collection of paintings by Scottish Artists.