Alexander Morgan was appointed to the Church of Scotland Training College in 1886 where he taught Mathematics and Science. When Peter Mackinlay resigned the rectorship of the College in 1903 the Church’s Education Committee appointed Dr Morgan as his successor.
In 1907 he was appointed the Principal of the two Training Colleges united under the Edinburgh Provincial Training Centre. At this quite difficult time he paid his respects to his predecessor at the Free Church College, Maurice Paterson:
“ But for his assistance we would not have been able to carry over so much of the old Moray House tradition into the big and somewhat amorphous new College. So long as I am here, that tradition will be avowedly cherished and followed…”
Following the retiral of John King from the post of Director of Studies, Dr Morgan was appointed to the joint roles of Director of Studies and Principal. He was a supporter of closer links between the Training College and Edinburgh University:
“ It may be that this movement will spread until the Training Colleges in Scotland become to all intents and purposes parts of the Faculties of Education in the Universities, and play a part similar to the professional schools of the other Faculties.”
He retired on 9th September 1925.
The Minutes (28 October 1925) of the Edinburgh Provincial Committee record their high appreciation of the services he had rendered:
“ By his wide knowledge of educational problems, his wise judgement, his power of initiative, his unfailing tact, and his fidelity to duty, he has done magnificent service to the Training College…”
Moray House acquired additional playing fields at Peffermill Road, Edinburgh and in commemoration of Dr Morgan these were named the Morgan Playing Fields. These were sold in the 1990s.
He wrote a booklet on ‘Two Famous Old Edinburgh Colleges’ (1935) outlining a century of teacher training. He also wrote a number of educational books including:
- Alexander Morgan (1927); Rise and Progress of Scottish Education, Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh.
- Alexander Morgan (1929); Makers of Scottish Education, Longmans, London.