Techstars Startup Weekend
Our most popular three day in-person event is back, this time with inspiring sponsor techstars!
Learn how to think, work, and build like a startup in just 3 days. Techstars Startup Weekend is an exciting and immersive foray into the world of startups. Over an action-packed weekend, you’ll meet the very best mentors, investors, co-founders and sponsors to show you how to get more done faster - and maybe even start that Business.
Come with, or without a business or social enterprise idea, join a team and startup in just three days. This high-energy weekend will give you a fast-track experience of turning your ideas into reality. Perfect for all student and recent graduates from the University of Edinburgh.
Meet like-minded people, learn new skills and have something to add to the CV. Learn how to test your idea and have a go at starting up. You’ll have business advisers, student ambassadors and our strong entrepreneurial community to help you along the way.
It’s completely free and we’ll feed you for the whole weekend.
Taking place 3rd - 5th November 2023.
Deadline for applications: 10am 23rd October 2023 with limited spaces.
What to expect
Those with startup ideas will pitch them to the group, you’ll join a team you like the sound of best and work together over the weekend to make it happen. This weekend will help you learn about the foundational elements of starting a business or social enterprise.
- Day 1 - Get into teams and start building something incredible.
- Day 2 - All about validating your idea and making sure you are building something people want. You’ll also have plenty of team working time to make good progress on your business.
- Day 3 - This is the final day! Learn how to best pitch your idea and present your idea to our panel of judges. This is followed by celebratory drinks and networking.
- Video: Techstars Startup Weekend video
- Techstars Startup Weekend by Edinburgh Innovations
We will partner with various Schools from the University of Edinburgh. Last year we partnered with: the Business School, Edinburgh Earth Initiative, Edinburgh Futures Institute and the School of Engineering.
Who can attend?
All current students and recent alumni (two years post-graduation) from the University of Edinburgh.
You don’t need any experience in enterprise to take part, the event works best when we have a mix of students from all courses and backgrounds.
The event is taking place Friday 3rd - Sunday 5th November 2023. Applications will open in semester 1 and close on 23rd October 2023.
- Friday: 5pm – 9.30pm
- Saturday: 9am – 10pm
- Sunday: 9am – 8pm
Only book if you can attend the whole weekend
Where is it?
Business School, 29 Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh, EH8 9JS
What to bring?
We'll have plenty of materials such as flip chart paper and marker pens but you may wish to bring your own tools to get the most out of the experience, such as:
- Creative tools (Lego, playdough, additional coloured pens)
- Prototyping materials (some teams have build models for their demos)
- Hoodie/jumper - make sure you're comfortable
Please feel free to bring along anything else that is likely to help you be creative and productive. We will have lots of food and snacks on offer throughout the weekend but please do bring along your own if you think you might get hungry.