Wellcome Trust Institutional Translational Partnership Award (iTPA) Accelerator Fund
Engaging staff with the development of early stage translational aspects of their research.
Please note that although lab work has stopped due to the impact of Covid-19, the iTPA accelerator fund will still be accepting proposals involving lab work with reasonably deferred start dates. However, it is important to also focus on the opportunities generated by the current situation. We encourage Covid-19 related work, industry collaborations, as well as data-driven and computational applications that are not dependent on lab work.
The University has been awarded an acceleration fund to diversify and intensify the support available to engage Wellcome funded researchers across the medical, life and social sciences. The fund will help identify, explore and develop nascent translational opportunities within their research, enabling further applications to larger translational grants, as well as developing commercialisation opportunities. Investment in high potential projects will be considered up to a maximum of £20,000.
The funds will be used broadly to stimulate future translation of specific early stage research projects. Uses can range from skill development through secondments and training to proof of concept experiments and understanding of the market. The award will support direct costs only and be associated with a range of activities including:
- Develop your translational skills: industrial secondments, specialist training
- Carry out translational lab-work: proof of concept, repurposing, prototyping
- Better understand the market, competition or IP landscape
- Develop policy & best practice: build translational impact and understanding
- Data analysis & feasibility studies: identify new methods from your data
Examples of funded projects
- Obtaining regulatory advice for a novel therapeutic approach
- Developing imaging methods for disease progression biomarkers
- Developing an animal model of organ injury
- A drug repositioning project for human and livestock infections
- Development of a community care paradigm for a neurodevelopmental disorder
The fund is open to applications within the Wellcome science remit. Wellcome and non-Wellcome funded principal investigators (PIs) and postdocs are invited to apply. Postdocs are particularly encouraged to apply with the support of a nominated PI (responsible for management of the award and ensuring the grant conditions are met).
Key dates and deadlines
Applications are currently closed but please check back regularly for further updates
Application and guidance forms
If you are considering applying or would like to discuss your ideas, please get in touch with the EiR or Business Development contact in your school (see Guidance Notes for details) or the Wellcome translational project manager Pauline.email@example.com to discuss your proposal.
- Guidance form