Going on exchange can be a fantastic experience which will benefit you both personally and academically.
International exchanges and Erasmus
Studying Economics at Edinburgh University has given me the most invaluable extracurricular academic opportunity in life of all - participation in international exchange during the 3rd year. I studied at UC, Los Angeles and spent the summer studying Economics at UC, Berkeley. I have learnt a lot about academic and social lifestyles in TWO countries and made some serious life-long friendships both in Edinburgh and US.
The application process usually takes place at the start of your second year. To help you to decide whether a year abroad would be right for you, we hold a social event each October/November where you can chat to students who went abroad last year. The Exchanges Coordinator from the School of Economics will also be there to answer your questions.
Departmental exchange destinations approved by Economics
- University of Oregon, USA (2 places) - single honours Economics or Economics with degrees
- University of Mannheim, Germany (2 places) - single honours Economics or Economics with degrees
- Tilburg University, The Netherlands (2 places) - single honours Economics or Economics with degrees
- University of Malta, Malta (2 places) - single honours Economics or Economics with degrees
- University of Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain (4 places) - single honours Economics or Economics with degrees
- *LUISS, Rome, Italy (1 place) - priority given to Economics and Politics students
- International destinations currently approved by Economics
- University of Adelaide, Australia
- Universidad de las Americas Puebla, Mexico (Spanish speaking)
- University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- University of Auckland, New Zealand
- Barnard College, New York, USA (women only)
- Binghamton University, New York, USA - only available to Bus & Econ students
- University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
- University of California, Davies, USA
- University of California, Irvine, USA
- University of California, San Diego, USA
- University of California, Santa Barbara, USA
- University of California, Santa Cruz, USA
- Carleton University, Ontario, Canada
- University of Connecticut, USA
- *University College Dublin, Ireland
- Hong Kong University
- *Korea University, South Korea (Korean speaking)
- University of Melbourne, Australia
- University of New South Wales, Australia
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA (joint honours only)
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
- University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
- University of Richmond, Virginia, USA
- University of San Andres, Buenos Aires, Argentina (Spanish speaking)
- University of Toronto, Canada
- Washington University at St Louis, Missouri, USA
- (* indicates a new addition to our list of approvals)
Please note that this list could change.
The Edinburgh Global have lots of general information and guidance on their website.
Erasmus activities are carried out with the support of the European Commission within the framework of the Erasmus+ Programme.