Planning your visit
Useful information for you to download before your EBSOC visit, including a pre-visit visual story, our public liability insurance certification and workshop risk assessments.
We want to ensure that everyone has the best possible experience at the Easter Bush Science Outreach Centre.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or speak to us in confidence on 0131 651 9679 before booking if you would like to find out more, for example, we are happy to provide worksheets in large print, on textured card or coloured paper on request.
Here's what we already do and please also see our pre-visit visual story below.
- the main entrance and exit is level access and we are on the ground floor
- wheelchair access is via automatic doors and lab tables can be lowered to specific heights
- there is a fully accessible toilet
- parking is free to all and we have parking for blue badge holders
- we have a hearing loop (audio induction loop) installed in the main lab area
- a quiet room can be organised on request
- we recognise the Hidden Disabilities Sunflower Scheme
- free workshop admission to all carers
- participants wear name badges and can use their preferred name and highlight their preferred pronouns
- there is a gender neutral toilet
Watch this short video to know what to expect when you come for a workshop at EBSOC!
- Video: A DAY AT EBSOC
- Find out what your day at an EBSOC workshop will look like!
We also have this video available without background music to limit sensory overstimulation. Click here to watch it.
How to get here
You can also find information on how to find us here or a pdf version is below.
Car parking is free in The Roslin Institute and The Royal (Dick) Vet school car parks, but please sign in at reception in the Charnock Bradley Building (Centre Building).
Minibuses can be parked in The Roslin Institute car park or The Royal (Dick) Vet school car park.
If bringing a coach, it can drop off outside the Roslin Institute. If it is staying for the day, please let us know and we will let you know the parking arrangements.
- Please ensure that the lead teacher has our emergency contact number 0131 651 9679.
- For full-day workshops, please bring packed lunches. There is a café on site that teachers may use. Lunch is 30-45 minutes (depending on the workshop).
- Unless otherwise advised, please arrive at 9.45am, we will begin the workshop at 10:00am.
- We will meet you in the reception area of the Charnock Bradley Building (Centre Building).
- Please read the risks assessment for this workshop before arriving.
- Please make us fully aware of any pupil that cannot be photographed.
Amendment to booking
We will prepare the workshop based on the number of pupils you provide on the data form.
Any change in numbers must be communicated to us at least 72 hours in advance – please note minimum and maximum numbers apply for all of our workshops (see online workshop description for details).
On the day: If you have more than 2 pupil absences, please let us know by calling 0131 651 9679. We understand that some pupil absences are unavoidable, so we will not charge for the first two pupil absences.
We reserve the right to cancel bookings if pupil numbers fall below the minimum number for that workshop.
We understand that you may need to cancel. Please contact us as soon as possible if you wish to cancel your booking.
For short notice cancellations (less than 4 weeks prior to the visit) we reserve the right to charge an administration fee of £50, and to pass on additional costs (e.g. workshop consumables) based on the numbers of participants provided in the data form.
In certain circumstances, such as adverse weather conditions, EBSOC may waive the cancellation fee.
After your visit the University of Edinburgh will send an invoice marked for your attention.
The workshop cost is calculated on a per pupil basis (minimum 16 pupils per workshop).
Photography and video
The University of Edinburgh may wish to use photography or film footage from this event both internally and externally to promote the University.
This applies to print and digital media formats including print publications, websites, e-marketing, posters, banners, advertising, film and social media.
If you do not wish your image to be used in this way, please make this clear to our photographer when he/she approaches you to obtain verbal permission.
- Teachers remain responsible for their pupils’ behaviour whilst on the Easter Bush Campus.
- Teachers and accompanying adults will remain with their pupils at all times.
- In the laboratory, no eating or drinking is permitted and long hair should be tied back.
- During the workshop, EBSOC staff will be responsible for delivering the content, with teachers being proactive in supporting classroom management.
- Groups should arrive at the agreed time. If you will be delayed please call 0131 651 9679, please note late arrival may affect the content that we can include in your workshop.
- Groups must bring their own refreshments and eat and drink in the designated area, which should be left in a clean and organised manner.
- Pupils must respect the staff and other visitors of the Easter Bush Campus and use “indoor” voices whilst on campus.