Dolly, DNA & Me
Look at your cells, learn about DNA, extract your own and take it home!
Learning Level: Family & Adult
Location: Charnock Bradley Building Reception, 10 minutes before the workshop start time
Availability: Mid January - August
Minimum attendance: 16
Maximum attendance: 24
Cost: Price on application
Duration: 3.5 - 4 hours
In this workshop you will get a chance to look at your own cells under the microscope, extract and bottle your own DNA and take it home! You will learn about what DNA is, see how it works and hear about how scientists use DNA in the lab from the scientists themselves.
I just want to say a big thank you for the workshop that you delivered to as part of our Centre for Open Learning short courses programme. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed it and the feedback that has been passed on to me has been extremely positive.
- To understand that living things are made of cells
- To explore the structure of cells
- To learn about the structure of DNA, how to extract and precipitate it
- To explore the difference between inherited and learned traits
- To follow simple patterns of inheritance
- To appreciate the contribution that DNA technology has contributed to scientific discovery, and the impact this has made on society
- To reveal the world of work in scientific research
- Using microscopes to look at your own cheek cells
- Isolating your own DNA from your cheek cells
- Carrying inheritance activities to understand the genetics behind their own characteristics
- Carrying out an inheritance activity to understand the genetics behind our own characteristics
- Discussion with scientists from The Roslin Institute
Free parking is available at Easter Bush Campus in The Roslin Institute and Veterinary Teaching Building car parks. Please provide your car registration at Charnock Bradley Building reception when you check in for the event.
The campus is well-served by Lothian buses (buses 15, some 37 services, the X47 (but not the 47) and the 67) – please see www.lothianbuses.com. For more information please download our How to Get Here document
Accessibility and Inclusion:
We are keen to make our events as inclusive as possible - please email us at email@example.com or call the Easter Bush Science Outreach Centre team on 0131 651 9679 before booking if you would like to find out more about accessibility or usability.