Applied Science | DNA Profiling: The Great Escape
A full day workshop supporting students to develop practical lab skills and knowledge through working in our laboratory. They will first prepare solutions and agarose gels, and then use DNA gel electrophoresis to compare the DNA of five sheepy suspects. The workshop is supported throughout by with scientists and technicians working on our campus.
Learning Level: National 5 lab skills, National Certificate: Applied Science (SCQF 5-6), SWAP
Location: Easter Bush Science Outreach Centre, University of Edinburgh Easter Bush Campus, EH25 9RG
Minimum attendance: 16*
Maximum attendance: 24
Duration: 3.5/4.5 hours**
Timings: 10am - 1.30pm/2:30pm***
Cost: £5 per student
During this workshop students will develop pracitical lab skills and knowledge through working in our laboratory. They will prepare the solutions and agarose gels that they will need to carry out to use DNA profiling to compare the DNA of five sheepy suspects. There is also opportunity to meet with scientists and technicians working on our campus.
It was perfectly pitched, the pupils got a huge amount from the day!
- To perform manual laboratory molecular techniques
- To prepare solutions for laboratory use
- To increase confidence in working in the lab
- To work safely and efficiently in a laboratory setting
- To interpret and discuss experimental results
- Chemical handling
- Preparation of solutions
- Prepartion of agarose gels
- DNA gel electrophoresis
- Analysis of sheep fleece from the scene of the escape
- Introduction to micropipettes
- Preparation of solutions
- Preperation of agarose gels
- Introduction to DNA profiling and DNA fragment analysis
- DNA electrophoresis using agarose gels
- Analysis and interpretation of results
Bookings will open August 2020
|Tuesday 12th January 2021||Tuesday 2nd February 2021||Tuesday 16th March 2021||Thursday 1st April 2021|
|Wednesday 13th January 2021||Wednesday 3rd February 2021||Wednesday 17th March 2021|
|Thursday 14th January 2021||Thursday 4th February 2021||Thursday 18th March 2021|
|Tuesday 19th January 2021||Wednesday 10th February 2021||Tuesday 23rd March 2021|
|Wednesday 20th January 2021||Wednesday 24th March 2021|
|Thursday 21st January 2021||Thursday 25th March 2021|
|Tuesday 26th January 2021||Tuesday 30th March 2021|
|Wednesday 27th January 2021||Wednesday 31st March 2021|
|Thursday 28th January 2021|
* Please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org if your group falls below the minimum as we may be able to accommodate your request through our
small groups waiting list.
** Full-day workshop includes DNA digest with restriction enzymes, shorter workshop uses pre-digested DNA samples.
*** A tour of The Roslin Institute can be organised on request, but this will affect the timings of your visit.