Research Excellence Framework 2014
The School of Divinity is delighted to report that it ranks 1st in Scotland and 4th in the UK* for Theology and Religious Studies in the recent Research Excellence Framework (REF) based on the quality and volume of our research.
We were strong in all areas, but some achievements particularly need highlighting:
- Almost 70% of our publications were rated at 4 star or 3 star (denoting work considered world leading and internationally excellent).
- 78% of our total submission was rated at 4 star or 3 star
- Our research environment received exceptionally high scores (100% at 4 star and 3 star), a testimony to the strong research culture at Edinburgh and putting us second in the UK.
- The School of Divinity at the University of Edinburgh was the second largest Theology and Religious Studies submission in the UK, with 90% of all staff included.
REF2014 assessed the quality of research in the UK higher education institutions. Research activity was rated on the quality of publications, research environment and research impact. REF2014 was undertaken by the four UK higher education funding bodies.
The University of Edinburgh’s position as one of Britain’s leading research universities has been reaffirmed by the results of the 2014 Research Excellence Framework.
* Power Index (this is a combination of quality index and volume)