Find out about libraries and postgraduate facilities within the School.
The School of Divinity is housed in the historic New College building near Edinburgh Castle, situated right in the city centre. It overlooks Princes Street and the Scottish National Gallery, and connects to the Royal Mile.
New College Library has one of the largest collections for theology and religious studies in the UK. We hold more than a quarter of a million printed items, including many rare and historic books. We also have a large and rich manuscript collection, including the papers of Thomas Chalmers, John Baillie, J H Oldham and James S Stewart.
The University's libraries hold many treasures and total holdings of more than 2.25 million volumes.
Beyond the University - but located close to the School of Divinity - the National Library of Scotland holds more than 5 million volumes, including every book published since 1710 in the United Kingdom (and numerous volumes published in the United States in cooperation with British presses). Scotland’s National Archives are also nearby.
The School has great facilities for postgraduates including study rooms, kitchen facilities and a cafe for staff and students open during the teaching semester.