New College Library
New College Library has moved temporarily.
A major Estates project has meant that we must move the New College Library collections and services. The library collections and services will return in 2023.
What this means for you
- General Collections: 'New College Library' is open at 40 George Square, providing access to General Collections.
- Archive material and some Special Collections (selected in consultation with the School of Divinity) will be available at the Centre for Research Collections at the Main Library in George Square. Contact the Centre for Research Collections to request access to these collections. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
New College Library at 40 George Square
- New College Library General Collections includes books on course reading lists as well as journals, which are currently on open access.
- General Collections are available at New College Library at 40 George Square.
- All previous New College Library services are available and there will be no changes to current opening hours.
- Students have access to study spaces at 40 George Square, as well as access to study space in the Rainy Hall.
New College Library Special Collections
- New College Library Special Collections include archives, manuscripts, historic printed books and objects, which are all kept in closed access areas.
- A request service is now in place to enable New College Library Special Collections items to be read at the Centre for Research Collections.
- Archives and selected New College Library Special Collections have been moved to the Centre for Research Collections.
- Some Special Collections will be relocated to storage offsite and these will be unavailable for the duration of the Estates project.
- Please contact the Centre for Research Collections for more information on available collections and to make requests. Email email@example.com Web http://www.ed.ac.uk/is/crc
|Name of Collection||Shelfmark||Comments|
|Archives and Manuscripts||AA, MS and GD||All Archives and Manuscript collections|
|Foreign Language Bibles||D||Cataloguing in progress|
|Inglis||Inglis||Chinese: cataloguing in progress|
|MH||MH||Much unique material|
|Pamphlets||Pamphlets||Much unique material|
|TR||TR||Much unique material|
Head of School, Professor Helen Bond, says:
“We have one of the largest theology collections in the UK and it is vital that we safeguard those quarter of a million books, manuscripts and other historic items for future generations. However, we understand the inconvenience these building works may cause and we are working very closely with student representatives, colleagues in Library and Information Services, the Estates Office, and Undergraduate and Postgraduate Programme Directors to minimise the impact on students, staff and our wider community.”
Our Director of Professional Services, Julie Robertson, is happy to be contacted if you have any further questions or concerns.
Find 40 George Square on campus maps
Find the University’s Main Library on campus maps
Centre for Research Collections in the University's Main LIbrary