New College Library
Founded in 1843 as the Library of the Free Church College, and now serving the School of Divinity, the New College Library is one of the largest theology libraries in the UK.
The Library occupies the eastern side of New College quadrangle, behind the statue of John Knox.
It contains around a quarter of a million items and a large and rich manuscript collection, including the papers of:
- Thomas Chalmers
- John Baillie
- J. H. Oldham
- James S. Stewart
The strengths of the Library collections contribute greatly to the teaching and research of members of the School of Divinity and students elsewhere in the University.
The collections are complemented by the many resources available nearby in the University and beyond, for example, in the archive of the Centre for the Study of Christianity in the Non-Western World.
Images from Special Collections
To celebrate the 160th anniversary of the founding of New College and the 70th anniversary of the current New College Library building, we have put together a gallery of images from the Library's Special Collections.
The Robert Funk Donation
Information on the Funk donation and updates on the progress of the cataloguing.