I am interested in the molecular and cellular interactions between axons and oligodendrocytes, the myelinating cells of the central nervous system.
- PhD student in David Lyons group, 2010-2015.
I am interested in the molecular and cellular interactions between axons and oligodendrocytes, the myelinating cells of the central nervous system. I am currently using zebrafish to understand how neuronal activity, through axonal vesicle release, can regulate the development of oligodendrocytes and the formation, growth and maintenance of myelin sheaths.
- Myelination of neuronal cell bodies when myelin supply exceeds axonal demand, RG Almeida, S Pan, KLH Cole, JM Williamson, JJ Early, T Czopka, A Klingseisen, JR Chan and DA Lyons. Curr Biol. 2018 (in press).
- On Myelinated Axon Plasticity and Neuronal Circuit Formation and Function. Almeida RG, Lyons DA. J Neurosci. 2017.
- Oligodendrocyte Development in the Absence of Their Target Axons In Vivo. Almeida R, Lyons D. PLoS One 2016.
- Individual Neuronal Subtypes Exhibit Diversity in CNS Myelination Mediated by Synaptic Vesicle Release. Koudelka S, Voas MG, Almeida RG, Baraban M, Soetaert J, Meyer MP, Talbot WS, Lyons DA. Curr Biol. 2016.
- Intersectional Gene Expression in Zebrafish Using the Split KalTA4 System. Almeida RG, Lyons DA. Zebrafish. 2015.
- Synaptic vesicle release regulates myelin sheath number of individual oligodendrocytes in vivo. Mensch S, Baraban M, Almeida R, Czopka T, Ausborn J, El Manira A, Lyons DA. Nat Neurosci. 2015.
- On the resemblance of synapse formation and CNS myelination. Almeida RG, Lyons DA. Neuroscience. 2014.
- Individual axons regulate the myelinating potential of single oligodendrocytes in vivo. Almeida RG, Czopka T, Ffrench-Constant C, Lyons DA. Development. 2011.