Fundraise Your Way

Organise your own event

Everything you need to make fundraising as straightforward, fun and financially successful as possible.

Ice bucket challenge
Phillipa, Rebecca and Denise take the #icebucketchallenge in aid of the Euan MacDonald Centre for MND Research.
Thank you for considering fundraising for the University of Edinburgh. We can help to promote your fundraising activity online, as well as providing you with the tools and advice required to make fundraising as straightforward, fun and financially successful as possible.

Fundraising Pack

Our fundraising pack includes information about taking part in organised events, setting up your own events and advice from our Individual Giving Officer, Kerry Mackay. 

Download Fundraising Pack


JustGiving provides an easy way for people to donate online and for you to track your total. To set up your page, simply visit our JustGiving page and click the 'Fundraise for Us' button to get started. Remember to include text explaining which area of the University you are supporting and why. We will ensure that the money you raise will go directly to the area that you have chosen to support.

Visit the University of Edinburgh's page on JustGiving.

Raffles, Collections & Events


For simple raffles, charge a standard price for each ticket and draw the name of the winner before the end of your event. If you plan to run your raffle or lottery over a longer period of time, or sell tickets at more than one venue, you will need to purchase a local lottery licence from your council.


If you are collecting on private property such as a pub or supermarket, get written permission from the owner or manager and keep it with you when collecting. To collect funds in any public place, you will need a licence from your local council. Most councils have details of how to apply for a licence in their website. It can take up to two months before your receive your licence, so plan ahead! Bear in mind that anyone collecting money in public must be over 16. Please always consider your personal security; when collecting money work in pairs and keep to well-lit and busy areas. Theatre collections, especially around Christmas time, are usually popular.

Visit Edinburgh Council's Public Charitable Collection licence webpage (external site). 


When holding a large or public event contact your local council for any necessary permissions, licensing, trading standards, and health and safety issues. Think about First Aid and fire safety (contact your local St John Ambulance and your local fire station for advice). If your event is going to obstruct traffic, then you should let your local police service know.

Government advice on organising a voluntary event (external site).