Edinburgh Dental Institute

Student Health Service

Details of health service providers.

During your time in Edinburgh, there may be occasions when you need to see a health care specialist such as a doctor, pharmacist, dentist or optician. A range of health and supporting services are provided by the University and throughout Edinburgh to help you feel your best.

Health Centre

The University Health Centre is an independent medical practice. It offers full general practitioner (GP) services to patients who live in the practice area, including:

  • comprehensive medical care
  • contraceptive advice
  • antenatal services
  • child welfare services
  • nursing services

For more information on the University Health Centre visit their website:

University Health Centre website

Find a doctor

If you reside outside the University Health Centre practice area you will need to register with a GP in the appropriate catchment area. To find a GP nearer your home use the GP finder on the NHS website:

NHS Lothian - Find a GP


The University Pharmacy is located at Bristo Square and is open to all students for dispensing prescriptions and selling medicines and toiletries. Services include:

  • free, NHS Minor Ailment Service (get advice and non-prescription medicines from the pharmacist)
  • emergency contraception
  • support to stop smoking
  • advice on all healthcare issues, including overseas travel

Dentist and Opticians

The University has an independent dental and optician practice based at Potterow. The practice provide optical and dental services for students including NHS and cosmetic treatments. Eye and dental examinations and registration are free.

Vitality Dental is an independent dental practice based in Potterow. It provides dental services for students including NHS and cosmetic treatments. Examinations and registration are free.

Vitality Dental website

Vitality Optical, at Potterow provide optical services for students. Examinations and registration are free.

Vitality Optical website

Sexual and reproductive health

Free sexual health services are available to all students through Lothian Sexual Health, including tests for Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs), emergency contraception and pregnancy advice.

Lothian Sexual Health website

Get a C-card for free condoms

Drugs – information and support

Know the Score is Scotland’s drug information and advice hub. They provide a free helpline and information. Crew 2000 is an independent charity offering impartial support and guidance to help individuals stay safe.

Know the Score website

Crew 2000 website



Nightline is an anonymous and confidential support and information service run especially for students in Edinburgh. The team are on hand to support you and listen to whatever you want to talk about, over the phone or via online chat.

Edinburgh Nightline website

NHS 24

If you need medical advice and are unable to access normal services, contact the NHS 24 website or helpline (dial 111).

NHS 24 website

University Health Centre website