Edinburgh Data Science transcends traditional boundaries between disciplines and works to enable communication and sharing of best practice across the impressive network of data science activity across the University.
A turn towards data as a basis for new kinds of research is under way across all areas of academia.
EDS has initiated and leads working groups in key areas (Research, Education, Innovation, Architecture, and Policy) to consolidate and amplify the activity taking place across the University. Members contribute to the strategic focus of each group and consist of academics and senior support staff from all areas of the University including Science & Engineering, Humanities & Social Sciences, and Medicine & Veterinary Medicine.
The working group remits include the following:
- Maintain oversight of data science research activity.
- Foster coordination between major activities.
- Horizon scan for new funding opportunities.
- Collate a repository of education training materils, tools and data.
- Build a modular distance learning offering, building to Masters provision.
- Ensure that all UoE students have access to basic data.
- Develop a cross-College innovation community.
- Define business models, engagement and open innovation.
- Foster a community of elite affiliates and engage them in regular activities
- Develop a 'best of breed' infrastructure and services.
- Build external partnerships in data curation and initiatives in data standards.
- Develop a sustainable business model around the architecture.
- Raise awareness of social, political and ethical aspects of data science.
- Promote interdisciplinary study at the interface with technology.
- Develop funded programmes around these themes.